New project: mixing local breeds from around the world

I would love to stabilize a gorgeous yellow achieved by crossing a millie fleur d'uccle. They were gorgeous but we could not breed and had to rehome the beautiful golden cockerels. I excited to see what you get!

Wild Norwegian chickens. 😜
You must be Dutch for an idea like that.
I’m curious how this is developing. :caf

Did you think about differences in climate? They must be cold harded living in the wild in Norway. Maybe you need to keep them a bit cooler as you're other chickens in summer. I remember Norwegian people complaining it was too hot with 30*C last summer (I loved it). That time the temp in the Netherlands got up to 40*C.

Wild Norwegian chickens. 😜
You must be Dutch for an idea like that.
I’m curious how this is developing. :caf

Did you think about differences in climate? They must be cold harded living in the wild in Norway. Maybe you need to keep them a bit cooler as you're other chickens in summer. I remember Norwegian people complaining it was too hot with 30*C last summer (I loved it). That time the temp in the Netherlands got up to 40*C.

Well I'm technically only half Dutch, but still thanks for the compliment😉

I'm not really worried about the difference in climate. The chickens that can't deal with our temperature and weather Wil just be selected out either naturally or by me.
Over time they will adapt to our climate.

I will probably introduce some fibro genetics over the next years. And try to develop some interesting looking birds and just let my little flock of ferals grow

I will probably introduce some fibro genetics over the next years. And try to develop some interesting looking birds and just let my little flock of ferals grow
Had to look into that. Never heard of fibro genetics before. First I encountered all kind of diseases. But then I found this:
A variety of fibro melanistic breeds, such as Hmong, Ayam Cemani, Yeonsan Ogye, Fibro Jungle Fowl, Fibro Thai and more..
And more about totally black chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fibro-easter-eggers.1162087/
They do look amazing. But also give me a feeling of darkness like ravens in fairy tales or the dark side in the Inkheart books of Cornelia Funke.

IMG_20200206_135832.jpg

IMG_20200206_135905.jpg
IMG_20200206_140213.jpg
IMG_20200206_135949.jpg

So the norwegian chicks are two weeks old now. They appear to have some barred/cuckoo markings. The one with the feathered legs is definitely a little rooster 😊

Do you have any background on the Norwegian chickens other than that they were feral? I am wondering if they are from an actual old Norwegian landrace, like the ancestor to the Jaerhon, or if they are just modern import types gone feral. I love old landraces. This is a neat project!

Looking at the feral population and after doing some research I think that the Jaerhon is somehow involved. The chickens at the farm where definitely European landrace type in terms of posture and behavior (sleeping and flying up in too the trees) mutch like the Frisian Gull and Chaamse hoen. the land the farm is /was standing on has been in the hands of one family for the last 250/300 years (had someone look at the archives of the nearby village) if I had to guess I would say that they are the feral unselected cousins of the Jaerhon or maybe even the original type.

At the moment I'm leaning towards keeping them "pure" and not crossing them in with the Marrakech rooster. Just trying to preserve this fascinating strain of chickens
IMG_20200225_095744.jpg

IMG_20200225_095807.jpg

IMG_20200225_095834.jpg

IMG_20200225_095905.jpg

Looking at the feral population and after doing some research I think that the Jaerhon is somehow involved. The chickens at the farm where definitely European landrace type in terms of posture and behavior (sleeping and flying up in too the trees) mutch like the Frisian Gull and Chaamse hoen. the land the farm is /was standing on has been in the hands of one family for the last 250/300 years (had someone look at the archives of the nearby village) if I had to guess I would say that they are the feral unselected cousins of the Jaerhon or maybe even the original type.

At the moment I'm leaning towards keeping them "pure" and not crossing them in with the Marrakech rooster. Just trying to preserve this fascinating strain of chickens.

Oh I am so jealous! I was interested in Jaerhons but my enthusiasm went down after I realized they had been so standardized. I would love to get my hands on Norwegian landrace chickens. I wish it was easier to import to the US!

Well let's see how they turn out, but I'm willing to share eggs if anyone would be interested in them.
Also have to come up with some type of plan for breeding. 3 roosters and 1 hen isn't actually a lot of genetic diversity....still it's going to be a fun challenge 🤔

Back
Top Bottom