New pullet with a swollen earlobe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daneajensen, Dec 15, 2012.

1. daneajensen

daneajensen New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, despite reading for the past few months. Bummer that the first one is about a potential problem! This is our new pulllet. Sharktooth. Our three other chickens are 21 weeks old; Sharktooth is now 18 weeks. Over the past week, she has developed a very swollen left earlobe. She's the bottom of the pecking order (very literally) so I'm wondering if this could be an auricular hematoma, or if it's more likely a respiratory infection as I've read elsewhere. Her right side is fine, and none of the other chickens are experiencing anything similar. She is definitely acting sad, but no different from how her sisters acted when they first joined us. She's only been with us for a week so I've chalked it up to being scared in her new environment. Any insights? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Dane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    take her away from the other hens and see if it gets better but if it gets worse sterilize a needle and try to open it a bit and gets some air in there then take polysporim and stick it inside the needle whole and all over the ear then wrap it up and see what happens but don't do that unless u really need to cause it might make it worse cause if its a bad infection puss will come out or something gross and if she is at the bottom of the pecking order go get a couple more hens or a rooster if u don't already have one to make the hens half to switch the pecking order around and i have had hens and pheasants get infections and I've done this before it can help or it can make it worse depending on the infection

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by