New Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iluvpeeps, Nov 10, 2012.

1. iluvpeeps

iluvpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    I just got a new pullet and when I brought her home and put her in the coop with the others, they started pecking at her so I took her out and put her in the brooder. I'm nervous that she'll get lonely and die. Is there any way to prevent that other than buying another chicken?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    introduce her slowly over a period of time so the others will get used to her....than try outting her in w/ the others after a few days at night so they wae up together.......she might be lonely now, but i dont think she will die

3. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    Thanks. I'll keep on posting about the progress.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    How old is she? I never introduce only one chicken anymore as it is too stressful. I would rather put the new chicken in a dog kennel in a crate with two middle pecking order hens for a week to make "new" friends as chickens seem to flock together under stress of a new surrounding.

5. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    She's almost 2 months old. Thanks for the advice I'm going to try what both of you guys said.

6. iluvpeeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Somewhere
    YAY!!! All better I went back to the place where I got her and bought 2 more hens! Now she has friends and can live outside [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by