New pullets in the flock

Ms. K was talking about a particular method on another thread and I realized it could help here, too. Folks will set up a "one way gate", where the spaces in the fence allow smaller birds in and out, but not the full grown hens. You could put some feed and water behind one to make sure the little ones have unimpeded access to it.

I couldn't find a good picture for some reason, but it would end up looking like this, maybe a little taller.
a4ab2bd8bced18c988ef748691ad36a1.jpg

Can't you just picture those little ones flitting back and forth while the big girls are stuck on the one side. 😄
Thats ka neat idea, things are finally starting to go a bit better. The babes are roosting with the big girls which is huge and they come out to eat. The girls dont chase and peck them as much

I am betting you have one or two old biddys and followers. You might lock a couple of the older birds in the crate, and let the chicks work it out with just 1 or 2 big girls. Let that settle a bit, maybe 2-3 days. Then add ONE of the older ones back in, let it settle, then 1-2 more.

The hideouts and clutter are crucial. And so is setting up multiple feed stations, but what is more important, set them up so that a bird eating at one station, cannot see a bird eating at another.

Is that the only coop? Because that is very small for 8-9 birds. That size coop is really only enough space for 3-4 birds.

Mrs K
We also live in Phoenix where they only sleep inside the actual coop but I am building a open air coop so that they get more airflow and more space.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for this post and the replies. I know it's been a year since the thread started, but it came in handy for me as I prepare to introduce my new spring pullets to my remaining flock of 3 old biddies! I've bought a transitional close wired "coop" to safely take the babies into our free range area, once they're fully feathered, for some protected time with the old ladies. I was very worried about what will happen when I finally try to let the young ones out into the main chicken yard (fully fenced and well-covered with hawk netting (don't EVEN get me started on how much I HATE hawks! 🤬) I really appreciated the advice of supervising at first and giving the little ones some escape routes. Thanks again for all the questions, feedback, and information!!

Back
Top Bottom