New Pullets look pretty horrible

swamp_stalker

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2018
Long story short, I built a coop and planned on getting some chicks or pullets soon. Before I could go buy from a good farm a friend of my wife brought over 6 "free" 12 week old pullets while I was at work. I got home and these little birds look horrible. They have feces on them, lots of bald spots, and their little combs are very pale. Not too happy about them even being put into my new coop/run, but they are there now.

Question is, what should I do with these birds? Should I dust them for mites and hope they aren't loaded with worms? Or should I just get rid of them? It is a shame they are in such bad shape, but I am not going to spend a fortune on a bunch of unhealthy "free" birds trying to doctor them up.

They seem lively. They wont come out of the coop until you push them out, but once out they scratch around and do what little chickens do.

IMHO any "damage" they would have brought with them is already there now. Might as well give them a good parasite treatment for inside and out (mites/lice, worms/cocci) and try to clean them up and bring them back to health.

Welcome to BYC and sorry for the reason that brought you to us. There's a wealth of info in the threads, please make yourself at home and browse around. Location often has a bearing on recommendations so it's helpful if you put your general location in your profile.

Thanks for the replies. I will try and get a few pictures tonight. The two black australorp don't look really bad (little bit of balding), but the four black sex links have lots of balding on their backs and hind end.

I have plently of other places I can move the run and coop to. The coop is composite plastic and the run is a chain link dog kennel. Hopefully that will make them easier to clean should it come to that.

Here are a couple pictures of the little chickens. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• chicken-1.jpg
    chicken-1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 36
  • chicken-1.jpg
    chicken-1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
  • chicken-1.jpg
    chicken-1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 35
  • chicken-2.jpg
    chicken-2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 35
I'd definitely treat for mites.Other than that it looks like if you improve their diet they should get much better. Looks like they are pretty protein starved and have been eating feathers.:)

Thanks for the reply.

Already have the mite dust on order. I am also feeding them Dumor Grower/Finisher along with some scratch. Time will tell. Hopefully they can be brought back.

Here are a couple pictures of the little chickens. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bless their baby hearts. They’re just pitiful little chicks that haven’t been taken care of. They will be so appreciative of you for helping them heal.
Welcome, you will love BYC. There is a wealth of information to be found on this site.
:frow

If the dust dosen't do it go with ivemectin, you can get a tiny bottle off ebay for less than ten dollars. It really does look like they've just been eating really badly and might have been in crowded or nasty conditions.
Thanks for the reply.

Already have the mite dust on order. I am also feeding them Dumor Grower/Finisher along with some scratch. Time will tell. Hopefully they can be brought back.

Back
Top Bottom