New Pullets look pretty horrible

:welcome I agree with the other posters. Try Game Bird feed it is usually around 20% on the protein if you can't get something else with higher protein. Most Game Bird feeds have a grower that is usually in crumbles. Medicated chick starter would be good too and most are around 19% protein. Also you can give the an electrolyte and vitamin supplement in their water. The one with the naked neck might be a Turken. I agree with treating the birds and area with something like permethrins. I spray my coops thoroughly including the nest boxes, roosts, walls, floors, everywhere. Good luck and have fun...

Thanks for the reply.

Already have the mite dust on order. I am also feeding them Dumor Grower/Finisher along with some scratch. Time will tell. Hopefully they can be brought back.
I don't like Dumor, too many reports of birds simply NOT thriving... is it 15% protein? They carry purina flock raiser at TSC also for a few $ more... I would go with that... Or try the Dumor feed that is 24% protein while you get this remedied.

Are you sure that one isn't a naked neck Turken?? I can't zoom in well enough to get a real good look at the skin quality. But I don't see redness I would expect from a terrible infestation. I personally HATE dust products and will choose spray which is easy to use and STAYS on the bird instead of up everyone's nostrils.

I'm only at the bottom of page one... so my reply may modify again... but I THINK that is a NNT, and they can have up to 80% less feathers than a standard bird. They are actually great birds also!

Are you referring to the pour on Ivemectin? I checked their stool as best I could and didn't see any obvious signs of worms, but I am barely a beginner when it comes to chickens. Not sure what I am looking for.
Irrelevant what you can see in dropping since you will only be able to see large round worms and tape worms and only under heavy load. All others will remain in the intestines and ONLY their microscopic eggs will pass... which you will NEVER see with the naked eye.

Still page 2 and going forward...

I was going to say Naked Neck as well for the one. Doesn't look like a BA to me. You've received lots of good info here and virtually all of it is in agreement. Good high protein feed, treat for parasites, give them some time. I think and hope you'll see a remarkable turnaround.

Good advice from everyone here! I agree with feeding a 20% all flock or grower feed like Flock Raiser (my choice for years!). Make sure that the mill date on each bag of feed is within one month, and that you can use it up within two or three more weeks. It ages out! The feed store people may claim that it's good for six months, but not true!
Permethrin spray concentrate is easiest to use and by far the least expensive product for external parasites, and that fecal test run at your veterinarian's is cheaper than treating with the wrong product, or for non-existent intestinal worms. And Ivermectin is not approved for use in chickens, so avoid it.
If any birds actually get sick or die, spend for the necropsy to find out why, before investing in new birds. Some diseases are forever (Marek's) or require depopulating and three weeks without any birds (Mycoplasma) so be sure, and be careful!
Mary

I agree with some tlc, nutri-drench drops, higher protein. A little cayenne pepper flakes mixed in thier feed wouldn't hurt either. You can offer them egg yolks for a protein boost as well. Poor babies. Hope they fill out and start looking and feeling better.

Good advice from everyone here! I agree with feeding a 20% all flock or grower feed like Flock Raiser (my choice for years!). Make sure that the mill date on each bag of feed is within one month, and that you can use it up within two or three more weeks.

Excellent post from Mary.

These birds are past the age where medicated feed would be recommended. I personally am not a fan for medicated feed for birds of any age, but it's generally recommended that birds past 10 weeks not eat medicated feed.

So my little birds have been on a high protein 24% feed for a couple weeks, and have been dusted for mites. As you can see, they look like different birds. They are now free ranging and returning to coop on their own.

Thanks for all the great advice. Hopefully they continue to improve. They are growing really quickly now, and are being spoiled by my kids. They went from not letting you near them to falling asleep when my daughter holds and pets them.

0722181435.jpg

0722181435a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom