New Pullets

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
Hi guys! I am hoping to get some advice on the following situation: I have been in contact with someone trying to re-home two pullets that are about 14 weeks. She said they are healthy, but have not been vaccinated for Marek's. Is this risky, or is it fine since experts are saying virtually all flocks have been exposed? I don't want to jeopardize my flock. How long would you quarantine them for before integrating to be sure they don't develop symptoms?

It really depends on your own tolerance for risk. The risk is real, and people have lost their whole flocks over this.

To me, there is considerable difference to a small personal flock of chickens raised pretty much like mine are kept, verses a flock, where as the owners attend flea market and sale barns, and chicken shows. Those are places where as a sick bird could infect a lot of birds. I would not take birds from a set up like that.

However, if the flock is merely chicks bought, and kept on a new chicken set up, and they appear healthy, without parasites, then I would probably take them. It is very, very difficult to do a real quarantine in a typical back yard set up. And you can't pretend to quarantine, you either do it right, or you may as well not bother. In this scenario, if the birds were healthy, I would not quarantine.

The last question is probably the most important, do you truly have room? Often times small flocks are kept in bare minimum, and adding a pair to that is dang hard to do.

Mrs K

It really depends on your own tolerance for risk. The risk is real, and people have lost their whole flocks over this.

To me, there is considerable difference to a small personal flock of chickens raised pretty much like mine are kept, verses a flock, where as the owners attend flea market and sale barns, and chicken shows. Those are places where as a sick bird could infect a lot of birds. I would not take birds from a set up like that.

However, if the flock is merely chicks bought, and kept on a new chicken set up, and they appear healthy, without parasites, then I would probably take them. It is very, very difficult to do a real quarantine in a typical back yard set up. And you can't pretend to quarantine, you either do it right, or you may as well not bother. In this scenario, if the birds were healthy, I would not quarantine.

The last question is probably the most important, do you truly have room? Often times small flocks are kept in bare minimum, and adding a pair to that is dang hard to do.

Mrs K
Thank you. There is definitely room. The coop was converted from an old shed and is attached to a large run.

She said they are healthy, but have not been vaccinated for Marek's.
Have any of her birds been diagnosed(via necropsy labs) to have Mareks?
Have any of her bird been vaccinated for Mareks?
How well do you know this person, to know their level of integrity?

Do you really, really, really want this particular breed...
.....or are you a first year newbie that has the 'more chickens' itch?
The risk and possible consequences is up to you.

I don't bring any older birds into the flock....I hatch my own or only day old hatchery chicks.
Don't have the ability to truly quarantine and wouldn't quite trust it anyway.
Quarantine in not likely to 'protect' against bringing Mareks into your flock.
But......
Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Then......
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Have any of her birds been diagnosed(via necropsy labs) to have Mareks?
Have any of her bird been vaccinated for Mareks?
How well do you know this person, to know their level of integrity?

Do you really, really, really want this particular breed...
.....or are you a first year newbie that has the 'more chickens' itch?
The risk and possible consequences is up to you.

I don't bring any older birds into the flock....I hatch my own or only day old hatchery chicks.
Don't have the ability to truly quarantine and wouldn't quite trust it anyway.
Quarantine in not likely to 'protect' against bringing Mareks into your flock.
But......
Consider biological/medical quarantine:
BYC Medical Quarantine Article

Then......
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
She has stated she has not had any issues with Marek's among her flock, and neither has the person who hatched them. I've had chickens for over 10 years, but have always gotten them as chicks. I've had an interest in Australorps for a while, and was very excited to find pullets local to me, as I'm not wanting to do chicks right now.

Personally, I have a mixed flock. Some are vaccinated as they are from hatcheries, some are from backyard farmers. All of my girls are healthy. That’s not to say Mareks couldn’t happen, it’s a real thing. But I’m just saying that I do indeed have a mixed flock and all is well ❤️🙏 I have a flock of 17 for reference. 13 are vaccinated, 4 are not

She has stated she has not had any issues with Marek's among her flock, and neither has the person who hatched them.
This means that these pullets have been exposed to two different environments already, accumulating the bacteria, germs and viruses of two different flocks that would be brought into your flock if you acquired them.

Why is the actual seller offering these pullets now, did she acquire them as day old chicks?

You stated to have had chickens for over 10 years, so hopefully you will be able to recognize if the seller is just trying to get rid of some cockerels instead of pullets. Sadly, this happens all the time.

Back
Top Bottom