1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Pullets

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Maryb, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Maryb

Maryb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maui Hawaii
    Today I got 5 new pullets. I live in a warm environment. They are sleeping on a perch out in the run and not in the coop. How can I get them to sleep in the hutch up on the roosts or when they lay to lay in the coop up in the nesting box?

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Since your weather is so mild, they probably prefer to roost outdoors.
    However, if you need them to stay inside the coop at night, you will have to lock them inside day/night for about 5 days before letting them out again.
    And if you put some eggs (fake or real) inside the nests (about 3 per nest), they'll know where to lay their eggs.

3. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    You need to teach them where home is since they are new to you and your coop. I agree with alienchick you need to keep them in their coop at night for 5 or 7 days without letting them out, just make sure they have plenty of feed and water. Once they learn they are safe and at home they will come back every evening to roost in the coop. Do you have plenty of ventilation in your coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by