New Quail Chicks - help with color *Lots of PICS!!*

Quote:
They start laying by 8 weeks old...(Eggs bigger than U would think) and lay they will! They are great table fare (the A&Ms are an all white meat bird much like a bobwhite) it takes about 3 coturnix eggs to egual a medium/large chicken egg. Once again, great table fare. My wife boils about 100 of them at a time, makes the best egg salad I've ever eaten. No trouble selling the chicks, eggs, or adult birds around here. So.. they basically pay for themselves!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine having that many quail!! I think I'll set my limit at...hmmm...50? LOL The problem is - they are so cute - and don't take up that much space/time/energy - that it's so hard to stop collecting em!!

Quote:
Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine having that many quail!! I think I'll set my limit at...hmmm...50? LOL The problem is - they are so cute - and don't take up that much space/time/energy - that it's so hard to stop collecting em!!

I've got to build 2 more pens this weekend! I just went and looked in on 235 eggs in the hatchers due out by Sunday!
jumpy.gif

Some people thought that the first two picts I posted were of dead chicks -
th.gif

Noo...it's the hatching progression...I wouldn't post picts of dead chicks on my happy hatch thread!!

Rebel Rooster - if I were alone I'd be like you...but I got a SO who's keeping me in check
hmm.png
lol.png

WOW !!!! What will you do with all those little Quail ??? I mean 200 + eggs is a lot of new friends.
There's a man in the next town and he has a quail farm...gave me a couple of eggs last year. They were soooo cute ! AND delicious !! I could see them hard boild as appetizer with a fancy tooth pick stuck in them ! LOL
I just didn't want to take the free little quails this other man offered me because I didn't know if I'd be able to keep them confined . He told me to let them loose in my back yard...is chain link. But I have Mini Poodles and knew that since they are true hunting dogs they'd find them. My male has brought me squirrels, baby rabbits and birds in the past. I hate it. He circles my 20 x 20 chicken pen like he's trying to round them all up.
Liz
Rochester, MA

Back
Top Bottom