New quail pens. Hopefully raccoon proof.

ridingtailboard

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
Southern WV
Check these out and let me know what you think.

I recently lost 20-25 quail because my pens weren't as secure as I thought they were. So I built these. The taller one is for my chukars. The smaller for my cots.

I installed two layers of hardware cloth about 3 1/2 inches apart. Installed heavier hasps with locks. the lumber is 1 1/4 rough saw poplar.

I'm concerned about the light and vent screens on the front of the small pen. Is the single layer 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth sturdy enough to keep out a raccoon?

Have I missed anything else? I really don't want to lose my new batch.

I'm impressed with your workmanship!

Just curious--how, exactly, were the previous cages not secure enough? Just don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks,

The previous cages were made with 1/2 x1 wire. No wood frame just bent and secured with rings. They worked for keeping the birds in but the coons had no problem reaching in and killing them.

Beautiful craftsmanship, they should definitely keep all critters out. Your cages are very similar to mine, but I used 1/2 x 1/2 wire and only one layer which has keep the coons out. But they still try. If you used 1/4 " wire on the floor the droppings will not pass thru as easily as 1/2 inch. Really nice work you should go in business!

Thanks.

I used 1/2 x1/2 on the floor to allow the droppings to pass.I only used the 1/4 inch for the screen on top of the small cage and the front of the taller one. I had to add those because I forget about allowing light in.

I recently lost 20-25 quail because my pens weren't as secure as I thought they were. So I built these. The taller one is for my chukars. The smaller for my cots.

I installed two layers of hardware cloth about 3 1/2 inches apart. Installed heavier hasps with locks. the lumber is 1 1/4 rough saw poplar.

I'm concerned about the light and vent screens on the front of the small pen. Is the single layer 1/4 x 1/4 hardware cloth sturdy enough to keep out a raccoon?

Nice job! Only thing I would add, would be a 1x2 strips over the edges of the hardware cloth, coons could pull the hardware cloth lose without the strips (makes it harder to get to your birds) I've had coons pull the wire loose, thus allowing them to get to my birds. I used 1/2" hardware cloth.

Nice job! Sorry you have this problem, how frustrating!

I can't tell if you have double wire on the flooring too. Make sure you do because pesky coons can pull their feet from below! About 2-3 inches apart on the floor wire in case toes are sticking out below so the coons can't grab them.

Also, consider replacing that latch with a lock. Coons are super smart and will spend most of the night trying and usually succeeding in opening latches to get a meal. Their paws are really more like hands and quite dexterous.

The wire is doubled in the floor. Most of my quail were pulled through the bottom leaving just the head.

They certainly are smart. I trapped one and am working on the other one. I may try using locks.

Back
Top Bottom