new quails!!! how do i take care of them???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by animal_lover, Apr 2, 2008.

1. animal_lover

animal_lover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    hello, I am new here, my mother's name is godsgrl, and earlier today I bought a quail. It's only a few months old. I'm not sure what breed, I will put some pictures up soon. However, I don't know anything about how to raise them [​IMG]!!! The store manager said chicken scratch, but me and my mother decided to give him/her chicken starter...is this okay??? What else??? PLEASE HELP!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

my new quail
    [​IMG]

same pic just zoomed in
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Looks like a button quail and I think chick starter is fine, all I know is that it is recommended that you have at least 16% protein but preferably 20- 26%. Thats really all I can think of and maybe a buddy to keep it company???

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    http://www.ncws.com/mcdonald/CareFeed.htm
    There's
    some information on button quail on this site...
    just make sure the chick starter is not medicated. Gamebird starter is better, but you may still have to grind it up to cornmeal size if it's too big for your baby. I have two silver button quail, and I feed them a mix of gamebird crumble (crushed) and premium finch food to round it out.
    SamG347 is really good for quail information... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41892
    He
    just hatched a few. I've got 70+ eggs coming tomorrow from the gal in the first website... hoping for a good hatch!
    Good luck with your new baby!

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Treat it the same as a chick....but feed 26% Gamebird starter. You should feed this the whole life of the bird. Also make sure to offer chick grit...and treats like bird seed/millet.
    Good Luck with it!
    [​IMG]

5. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    Quote:Yes, I agree, he/she does need a buddy. We are going to get another one, male hopefully, next week.[​IMG] Thanks.

6. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

http://www.ncws.com/mcdonald/CareFeed.htm
    There's
    some information on button quail on this site...
    just make sure the chick starter is not medicated. Gamebird starter is better, but you may still have to grind it up to cornmeal size if it's too big for your baby. I have two silver button quail, and I feed them a mix of gamebird crumble (crushed) and premium finch food to round it out.
    SamG347 is really good for quail information... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41892
    He
    just hatched a few. I've got 70+ eggs coming tomorrow from the gal in the first website... hoping for a good hatch!
    Good luck with your new baby!

Do you know where you can get Gamebird starter??? Thank you, and good luck with your babies too![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    Can you tell if it is a male or female yet???

8. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I can't tell from the picture but if it has a white "bib" under its chin then it is a male. If not, you have a female

9. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    Quote:Thank you. No, she doesn't have a bib. YAY!!! I was trying to get a female!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. animal_lover

Apr 2, 2008
    I have one more question and I think I'll be good to go. =0)
    Can someone show me some pictures of their quail "pens". Mine is a 29 gallon aquarium right now with the box she came in, an upside-down flower pot with a hole in the side, food, water, and grit for her to take a dust bath in. Thanks again for helping me with my new quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by