new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
@Perris I have a question about your coops. I once saw a photo of the coops and there was chain hanging in the doorways, presumably to keep wild birds out. Is that why? Is it effective? I may give it a try.
It's a chain curtain, like those on house doors to keep flies out, and was made out of surplus from such a door chain curtain - the aluminium links are very easy to bend to separate and join to the required length of the pop door. I added it because I was told it deters foxes. It appears to work. It also appears to deter other birds and flies - at least, in 5+ years I've not seen any of those creatures inside a coop. Chicks quickly learn to push through it. I recommend it.

It's a chain curtain, like those on house doors to keep flies out, and was made out of surplus from such a door chain curtain - the aluminium links are very easy to bend to separate and join to the required length of the pop door. I added it because I was told it deters foxes. It appears to work. It also appears to deter other birds and flies - at least, in 5+ years I've not seen any of those creatures inside a coop. Chicks quickly learn to push through it. I recommend it.
Great, thanks. I'll try it.

what a great idea

Can you please link to /repost one of the pictures being mentioned? Thank you.

Can you please link to /repost one of the pictures being mentioned? Thank you.
Sure: here we are. I attached lengths of chain to a piece of timber and then the timber to the (Nestera / Green Frog) coop.
DSC01316.JPG

A fly curtain was a ubiquitous sight in most Australian shops until the 90s when air conditioning and automatic doors became widespread.
It's just hanging strips of plastic. It's probably useless v foxes being plastic, butiIt's effective against flies.
They are still available online or easily made.

Great idea for a chicken coop

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).png
    s-l1600 (1).png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 17989d0e-ed03-41d3-8217-f4248ef63208.jpeg.jpg
    17989d0e-ed03-41d3-8217-f4248ef63208.jpeg.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 8
It's probably useless v foxes being plastic,
The deterrence effect is not based on strength but on uncertainty: from the outside it is very difficult to see what's inside, behind the curtain, and foxes are very suspicious and cautious, so they don't risk poking their heads through to have a proper look inside.

The deterrence effect is not based on strength but on uncertainty: from the outside it is very difficult to see what's inside, behind the curtain, and foxes are very suspicious and cautious, so they don't risk poking their heads through to have a proper look inside.
This is new to me. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom