new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
if you let the chickens select their own food, they moderate it to perfection. Humanity's problem (felt by some of us more strongly than others) is we want to control everything :th
Very true, we humans do like to control things, often to excess.
But then on the other hand, chickens also love to chow down on styrofoam, so I'm not so sure they always make the best choices for themselves either. :idunno

I do not recall where I read it and I don't know if it's an accurate source, but I remember something about skim milk in the chickens' ration as a calcium source.

Particularly suitable if the farm had excess milk from the production of butter
There is a thread discussing chicken diets in other places and times:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-it-was-done-before-commercial-feeds.1555278/

Starting around post 21 of that thread, there are links to a number of works from about a century ago, discussing feed for chickens. When I follow the various links, many of them recommend milk as a source of protein.

Milk does not have enough calcium to be very useful to a hen that is laying eggs. It would take about (googles, does arithmetic) 18 cups of milk to equal the calcium in a single eggshell. And the hen needed to eat more calcium than just the amount that went into the eggshell.

Milk as the sole calcium source for chickens would definitely not work. Milk might make a small difference in how much calcium the chickens need from other sources.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-it-was-done-before-commercial-feeds.1555278/

Starting around post 21 of that thread, there are links to a number of works from about a century ago, discussing feed for chickens. When I follow the various links, many of them recommend milk as a source of protein.

Milk does not have enough calcium to be very useful to a hen that is laying eggs. It would take about (googles, does arithmetic) 18 cups of milk to equal the calcium in a single eggshell. And the hen needed to eat more calcium than just the amount that went into the eggshell.

Milk as the sole calcium source for chickens would definitely not work. Milk might make a small difference in how much calcium the chickens need from other sources.

Then it seems likely that the source I read was wrong -- which is not uncommon, especially when it comes to folk knowledge rather than firm science. :D

I don't feed them treats and such from the store, but go out and dig up shovels full of sod with a hefty amount of dirt from different areas of the property. I started out introducing it to them at two weeks, but now I do it right away, as soon as they are transferred from the incubator to the brooding area.
Yes! Putting some dirt/bedding/grass clumps from the chicken yard was one of the best pieces of advice I read on this forum. I always do that now, and the chicks seem hardy and healthy.

Real foods are composed of lots of nutrients. A reductionist approach (thinking of anything as a sole source of something) misses the wood for the trees. My chickens get calcium from multiple sources, not least grass, which, btw, has enough calcium for a cow :D

Seems science is putting me wrong on milk - as someone who used to run a lot I was always told to avoid it, at least for plain, pasteurized but not fermented milk. The reason invoked was the acidifying effect (as for any sweet food, alcohol...). I hate milk so it may be the reason why I always had indeed the impression it did make me feel bad.
Now yogurt and cheese I feel differently about probably because I really like the taste and I wouldn't be french if I didn't eat cheese. I still can't help finding it a bit strange to use milk for consumption as an adult as in nature it is only meant to make baby grow.

Anyway I wouldn't buy milk just to give it to my chickens as there would be a lot of waste but I could give them some of my yogurt. I've read quite a few times on BYC people giving yoghurt and kefir : do you just put it in a cup ? And how often for it to have any effect on their biome?

Thank you for pointing that thread out. I read the beginning but had lost track of it.

do you just put it in a cup ? And how often for it to have any effect on their biome?
yes, and let them help themselves as they wish. Typically the roos will take a little and laying hens a lot. As for how often, about once a fortnight or when I notice the oyster shell going down faster than usual. Since mine have had it available from hatch since about 3 years ago, I really can't answer your question about how long to take effect. Perhaps you could run a little experiment if you're game to try it?

Back
Top Bottom