new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
In all this talk of synthetic chemical additives to highly processed industrial food, I am reminded of post 1
This is honestly an issue that extends to a large segment of life on the planet. Not only domesticated chickens, but even lab animals, zoo animals, and wild animals

Humans also are effected profoundly
Humans aren’t the only ones who are growing more obese — lab animals and even wild animals are becoming more obese as well. Primates and rodents living in research colonies, feral rodents living in our cities, and domestic pets like dogs and cats are all steadily getting fatter and fatter. This can’t be attributed to changes in what they eat, because lab animals live in contained environments with highly controlled diets. They’re being fed the same foods as always, but for some reason, they’re getting fatter.

This seems to be true everywhere you look. Our pets may eat scraps from the table, but why would zoo animals, being fed by professionals, also be getting fatter? Even horses are becoming more obese. This is all very strange, and none of it fits with the normal explanations for the obesity epidemic.

here's something I just read that pertains to the discussions a bit. It's from a human health perspective, but does discuss animal wellbeing also. (and really, that is sort of consistent with the OP.)

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/.../collagen-and-gelatin-for-optimal-health.aspx

Articles only stay up for 2 days, so I'll attach a PDF for convenience of those interested.
thank you for this; it is definitely relevant, and putting up the pdf is very helpful.

An easy source of quality gelatine is the cooled liquor from roasting or boiling a joint (e.g. pork shoulder or better, hock) or a chicken; anything composed of meat juices that sets into a sort of jelly on being left to cool contains significant quantities of gelatine which melted out from the connective skin and skin during cooking. It's good for people and animals, and while my chickens know it and scoff it down greedily, humans usually don't, so that's another win-win if table scraps are allowed where you live :p

I don’t know how any birds survive in the wild
large variety of different foods in a large area. laying 12 eggs a year and only the strong survive.
even my grandparents chickens didn't lay from molt until spring. they cleaned up after the feed dropped by the draft horses, pigs and cow. Didn't get fed at all

We are evil egg thieves 😞

Every thing has to eat. Something has to die or be injured to sustain life...
My poultry eat snakes like spaghetti, rip apart mice and fledgling Robins. Mice and chipmunks in a repeater trap kill each other.
Plants release chemicals when grass hopper or something starts eating them. It tells other plants what chemicals to release to repell different animals eating them

Back
Top Bottom