new research debunks trad views on nutrition

Pics
Sorry if any of this has all been said before, I just discovered the thread and couldn't resist jumping in. I am just full of opinions when it comes to this topic!
some has, some hasn't. Personally I'm very pleased to read your comment about bread and milk as a staple in the diet; these simple, nutritious and relatively cheap foods have been maligned in parallel with the take over by ultra processed foods (coincidence?).

There is quite a lot of good stuff in those 60+ pages (and some dross and irrelevance of course) if you can be bothered to wade through from the beginning!

As well as 'fashion'. The SOP for a lot of animals causes more harm than good. Breeders push that 'perfection' to the point it becomes unhealthy for the animal.

One hundred years ago, animals could breathe. Now, a lot of the flat nosed ones need surgery to be able to do this. This is NOT perfection, it's an atrocity.

I agree, I was referring to more to genetic maladies rather than physical attributes.

The problem is that's what a lot of people want today, big eyes, domed heads, smooshed faces. Oh they're so cute! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That's why the #1 most popular dog right now is the French Bulldog.

Personally I've always appreciated more natural looking and athletic type dogs.

some has, some hasn't. Personally I'm very pleased to read your comment about bread and milk as a staple in the diet; these simple, nutritious and relatively cheap foods have been maligned in parallel with the take over by ultra processed foods (coincidence?).

There is quite a lot of good stuff in those 60+ pages (and some dross and irrelevance of course) if you can be bothered to wade through from the beginning!
I've made nutrition for my animals (more than for myself *hides head in shame*) a priority for years. I've read many reports, watched many videos, and tried to implement many changes over the years.

I'll go through the one you linked (the one on fiber, right?) as it isn't something I've heard about. Thank you!

I agree, I was referring to more to genetic maladies rather than physical attributes.

The problem is that's what a lot of people want today, big eyes, domed heads, smooshed faces. Oh they're so cute! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That's why the #1 most popular dog right now is the French Bulldog.

Personally I've always appreciated more natural looking and athletic type dogs.
I have an American Foxhound, lol! An unpopular breed (so not overbred) that actually looks like a dog. And chosen specifically for those reasons.

As for genetics, a lot of that can be attributed to feed and care. Neutered male dogs are much more likely to develop hip problems. Overly vaccinated pets are much more prone to cancers.

As it happens, dog food must be fit for human consumption in the UK (required by current regs, and some dog food manufacturers use human tasters to develop their recipes :hmm ), so these concepts are a bit blurry, at least in this country.

I wish North America had standards like that. Right now, even in Canada, pet food manufacturers are not held to any real standards other than what is on paper.

Dogs who look like 'dogs' rather than ??? tend to be much healthier generally. BUT the canine genome is pretty tight overall, and individual breeds are even more inbred, so genetic issues come up way more often. And selecting for traits not compatible with health, as pushed in faces, bulging eyes, dwarfism, and giantism, all unhelpful.
And difficulties that turn up in middle age, like heart problems, for example, are harder to select against in breeding programs.
And mutts often have the same problems as their parents!
Neutering early is now considered a problem in some breeds, and I'm not totally convinced that the very common issue of obesity/ overweight isn't more of a factor here too.
Years ago Purina did a lifetime study of litters of Labradors, with half of several litters fed differently.
Half were kept thin but NOT malnourished, and the others were closer to full fed.
The thin dogs lived two years longer, and had (as I remember) 90% fewer joint problems over their lifetimes.
Probably this study can still be found online... I read it in a veterinary journal.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom