new research debunks trad views on nutrition

15% mortality isnt acceptable, hasn't been for a long time. 3-7% is. Example another example more links as required. "Cage Free" remains higher mortality, though not by as much as some might assume.
I don't know where you get your info, but this is from 2012, and only one of the averages is below 7%

"Mean levels of on-farm mortality, during the laying period, for a total of 1486 flocks were significantly lower in cages (5.39 per cent) than in barn (8.55 per cent), free-range (9.52 per cent) or organic flocks (8.68 per cent) according to producer records a median of seven days before depopulation, with considerable variation between flocks in all systems."

Levels of mortality in hens by end of lay on farm and in transit to slaughter in Great Britain

C. A. Weeks BSc, PhD, S. N. Brown HNC, MIBiol, G. J. Richards BSc, MSc, L. J. Wilkins HNC, MIBiol, T. G. Knowles BSc, MSc, PhD, CStat, CBiol, MSB

First published: 23 June 2012

https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.100728

I'll look for the studies I was referencing earlier. Its possible I misremembered. Kindly consider my prior comment to be footnoted for possible retraction or correction - though the numbers from the study you linked were substantially below your 15% figure.

My "second example" included in my comment which you are responding to had this handy cumulative mortality chart near the bottom. That's a lot of farms and hens. They appear comfortably within the 3-7% range.

1709144373613.png

UGA provides this, which I'm certain I've read before, but no source provided for their 3% mortality rate. Honestly, I didn't look last time I read it. Similar here, but again, I'll need to dig into sources further. See this APHIS publication as well (p11). Sources begin at p 87.

The chart is consistent with the caged figures - they're all varieties of cages.

University Extension leaflets are for farmers etc., they're not research papers so they're not going to have details or necessarily be very up to date.

The APHIS manual is a disease emergency preparation plan, so again does not have the evidence we're after. Nevertheless is does have a lot to say about mortality among broilers, and warns producers about DOA and condemnation of carcasses before processing (because of disease or the poor condition they're in). In the UK the trigger level for that is 11%. You only need 4% on-farm mortality for the total loss to be 15%. And to reiterate, that is not an average or expected figure, it is the threshold at which investigations are launched.

A thought-provoking piece on the subject of UPFs in the Guardian yesterday:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/06/ultra-processed-food-healthy-diets-pr
Many years ago I read a book that suggested only buy things to eat that have 5 ingredients or less and avoid anything with crazy long names that are hard to pronounce. And, while that's over simplified and can miss thigs that should be avoided, it really is a decent mind frame / place to start for people who want to eat healthier.

Of course our ingredient labeling laws are not exceptionally helpful. Consider something simple ... your favorite brand of orange juice. It contains 100% orange juice as its only ingredient. Consider that no two oranges taste exactly the same - especially at different times of the year. So, why does your favorite orange juice always taste the exact same? The orange juice can be dissected into parts. Elements isolated and extracted. Then those parts can be re-introduced differently. So, while everything comes FROM orange juice, it's reconstructed to make it turn out the same each time. It's a product of a science laboratory.

Back
Top Bottom