new research debunks trad views on nutrition

So, this makes it untrue or just much more specific/detailed?

Probably "true" in the sense that an egg really can be chemically analyzed and get those results, but wrong in that you can't just mix those things together and get an egg.

As a joke, it's fine and maybe even funny (maybe).
But as a source of information, I would rather it be labeled "chemical analysis of an egg," not "ingredients."

Does anyone remember something called "Tofurkey?" It was a tofu-based "turkey product," marketed around Thanksgiving, to vegetarians and vegans. It seems someone had the bright idea that "they were missing out on part of the Thanksgiving tradition of eating turkey."

I worked with a young man whose parents were vegetarian for a few years, and subjected him to a Holiday Tofurkey. He told me, "It was tofu. Call it tofu. I even like tofu. It bore no resemblance to a turkey, other than its processed shape."

Like the blueberry "yogurt" I bought by mistake. It contained Milk, sugar, blueberries, conditioners/emulsifiers/natural and artificial flavors, and gelatin. No active cultures. Nothing that had taken the milk and made it into yogurt.

Don't get me started on honey. One of the most faked foods out there.

I think words should mean something too.
Honey is faked? How do you fake honey? My pantry is full of honey but mainly from friends who keep bees so I am thinking it must be real honey!

Probably "true" in the sense that an egg really can be chemically analyzed and get those results, but wrong in that you can't just mix those things together and get an egg.

As a joke, it's fine and maybe even funny (maybe).
But as a source of information, I would rather it be labeled "chemical analysis of an egg," not "ingredients."
Yes. Good way of putting it.

My pantry is full of honey but mainly from friends who keep bees so I am thinking it must be real honey!
You have real honey.

Honey is often cut with corn syrup/high fructose corn syrup. Real honey is expensive and time consuming to procure. Syrup is cheap to make. Cut your honey with some syrup, charge as if it were all honey.

Yeah, it's all about the money.

I buy my honey from my "bee guy," Ed. (I hope to have my own honey from our own bees this fall.) He charges $48/gallon, and that is lower than what other producers charge. His market is friends/neighbors, so it's a different market than the large orchards in the area that get $55-58/gallon.

I had my gallon of Ed's honey in the basement. It crystallized, totally solid in the jug*. The small container of "Raw, unfiltered honey" I bought at Costco a year ago did not. The Costco honey was a crystal clear amber color. Um... no. Unfiltered honey has bits of wax, propolis, maybe even some dirt and bees in it.

*Sitting by the wood stove, it returned to liquid. That's where it sits now.

Some people would prefer not knowing.

and there is a level of detail which is, generally, unnecessary. When I make pasta, I need 3 eggs, 2 cups of flour, 1 Tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt, then adjust by feel. That level of detail is adequate to the purpose.

I actually found the post rather informative. Would have been useful to have found that when researching before commenting in the "can I feed eggs back to my chickens?" post.

the problem is that it conflates the concept of constituents with the concept of ingredients, and thereby misleads. As RoyalChick pointed out, it does not compare like with like; as NatJ pointed out, you cannot take the constituents and mix them into an egg; and as lots of people have pointed out, words have meanings, and that includes the concept of ingredient. The ingredients in an egg is egg.

the problem is that it conflates the concept of constituents with the concept of ingredients, and thereby misleads. As RoyalChick pointed out, it does not compare like with like; as NatJ pointed out, you cannot take the constituents and mix them into an egg; and as lots of people have pointed out, words have meanings, and that includes the concept of ingredient. The ingredients in an egg is egg.

That's exactly. It's not detailed at all. It's misleading. At best It's dumbing down chemistry to an insulting level. Nature is an infinitely complex interplay of intertwining, inseparable, indivisible organisms and processes, not a laboratory or layers of a machine.

One very basic example. Sodium chloride. One sodium, one chloride ion. In a crystalline form for the most part. But is that what a natural salt crystal is? Not even close. I doubt modern chemistry could simulate sea salt to a respectable level. Afaik it's still impossible. Many of the processes are hereto undiscovered. Vor as much as we think we do know in 2024. There is vastly more we do not.

Not being able to mix those things into an egg is a good analogy. Another would be to unbake a cake into flour, water, egg and sugar

Teacher is suss 😛

I think the teacher was trying to show kids that those very complicated (and to-some scary) chemical terms are just technical names for the things that make up everything, including homely natural things like eggs, bananas and blueberries. Unfortunately, he presented it as if it was a list ingredients, and thus it popped up here, apparently unintentionally serving the opposite purpose, to make a natural food look like an ultra processed one.

For what it's worth (not much) it's not even clear it is accurate.

Does anyone remember something called "Tofurkey?" It was a tofu-based "turkey product," marketed around Thanksgiving, to vegetarians and vegans. It seems someone had the bright idea that "they were missing out on part of the Thanksgiving tradition of eating turkey."

I worked with a young man whose parents were vegetarian for a few years, and subjected him to a Holiday Tofurkey. He told me, "It was tofu. Call it tofu. I even like tofu. It bore no resemblance to a turkey, other than its processed shape."

Like the blueberry "yogurt" I bought by mistake. It contained Milk, sugar, blueberries, conditioners/emulsifiers/natural and artificial flavors, and gelatin. No active cultures. Nothing that had taken the milk and made it into yogurt.

Don't get me started on honey. One of the most faked foods out there.

I think words should mean something too.
If you going to do that, you may as well get a chocolate shaped turkey instead!

Back
Top Bottom