New Rhode Island Red rooster (on loan)

Delmar

Songster
9 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Indiana, a dozen miles from MI
Our batam roosters that grew up with the girls were starting to beat up the ladies. So we decided it was time to cull the ones we were culling. I talked to a lady at church and found a home for the two frizzles and she offered to let us borrow her Rhode Island Red untill my other rooster is ready to join the main run.

I really like "Big Red" he is a massive bird and he is very gentle. The girls seem to be taking to him right away, and nobody is pecking anybody. He is already out there doing the come hither dance for the ladies!
Red2.jpg

Red.jpg

He is beautiful! Did you realize that if you hatch chicks from eggs that are out of your barred hens and "Big Red", you will have black sex links and be able to know gender at birth? Exciting stuff!

BigDaddy'sGurl :

He is beautiful! Did you realize that if you hatch chicks from eggs that are out of your barred hens and "Big Red", you will have black sex links and be able to know gender at birth? Exciting stuff!

I did not know that. That is fantastic news! I have been looking forward to breeding interesting mutts, but I didn't expect it to get this interesting this quickly.​

Quote:
I did not know that. That is fantastic news! I have been looking forward to breeding interesting mutts, but I didn't expect it to get this interesting this quickly.

thumbsup.gif

I learned by experience: we have a barred rock hen and a red cochin roo and I kept wondering why I got chicks that only the males were barred and only the females were black with red plumage in the breast area...then someone said "duh, those are black sex links". It didn't matter the breed (dad cochin), what mattered was the coloring of the parents! I would go for it again on purpose here but nobody in my area believes they are sex links because all the chicks inherit the dad's foot feathering and people around here think of sex link as a breed as opposed to a color type that makes sexing so much easier... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom