New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Opa,
Your first set of roll out boxes worked so well, that I’m in the middle of making your 24” roller x 6 nestbox version for my 2nd coop. However, my measurements are a bit different than yours. (I used 5/8” inch plywood instead of ¾”, and put the top/sides together differently. *grr* I just keep telling myself it's only a chicken coop!) Anyway, what height opening did you use for the partition between the nest and the collection area? Or, how big an opening do you need before a good sized egg will get stuck?

I also decided after trying to cut my first 3 1/2" to 0" wedge, that it was much easier just to cut a 3.5" block and put it under the front of the ramp. My saw cutting skills aren't the best! I'm sure my hens won't mind... (Grin)

Marty
Salt Lake

Quote:
I'm glad that they are working out for you. I went out an measured the opening between the nest pad on the ramp and the bottom of the partition and it's 2 1/2 inches.

Hey Opa,
Thanks so much for your pictures and help. We are about to start building our roll out boxes. If you lived closer, I just might take you up on that $175 offer!
Great Craftsmanship!
bow.gif

Every evening when I collect the eggs I appreciate just how well this design is working out. Surprizingly most of the eggs are laid in the top nests. Collecting eggs is a snap. Now if I could get that one hen that prefers to lay hers on the droppings board to start using a nest I'd be all set.

Opa, you rock! and obvious have eggs that roll!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and the plans you have developed for the improved roll away nest.

You, sir, are a treasure.
bow.gif

Since I have been so far behind in getting everything done your new plans are indeed timely to me!

Take care of you and yours,

Deb

Just a couple weeks ago we finally go to install the roll-out nest boxes we've planned and worked on so long.

We have 7 older hens about 4 years old, and about 20 youngsters who are just starting to lay.

When we installed the boxes (in the 3x3 hole we'd left in the wall), we removed the only two remaining nest boxes (the non-roll out, "muddy" ones) the same day. Imagine our surprise when the chickens dug themselves a nest in the litter on the floor and started laying in there! We tried several things, including putting "seed" eggs in the nests to give them the idea...

After nearly a week of this, we finally tried putting pine litter in the nests (knowing this would defeat the "roll-out") and they started laying in there THE NEXT DAY. It's been a week now, and they're still laying in it. We have allowed the pine litter to "flow" out the back of the nest box and are removing it from there.

Thanks for the plans, Opa. They saved us a lot of trial-and-error.

Also, I thought I'd mention that to keep straight the pipe insulator I used as a "bumper", I stuffed a 3' chunk of PVC inside (which I just happened to have around). It's worked great so far, and is not attached at all.

I thought I'd also share...

I made a 6x roll out nest box that works pretty good. (I also made 2 doubles from Opa's original post).

I like the longer receiving area with the larger roll out boxes. Especially with large amounts of hens and eggs, because things don't get so crowded back there.
After I built the nest boxes, I ordered 12 nest pads. (the most expensive part of the project...) I thought I would try it with nest pads just under the hens, and not use the pad in the receiving area. I just let the eggs roll onto the wooden flooring in the receiving. I thought, "Cool, I can cut the cost down on my next nest box project!"...

Not so fast. After a couple of weeks, and the inevitable dust, the wood floor receiving area was dusty. When the 'wet' eggs rolled down, they have a dust line around them.

So the nest pads in the receiving are necessary if you want clean eggs...

2nd, the nest pads seems to work fine with the 'baby girls' who have never laid on anything else. But my 'old girls' who have had everything from straw to an upside down welcome mat to lay on, do NOT like to switch to the plastic nest box material. They'd rather lay on the coop floor. More work to do with those ladies!

Just my 2¢ worth!

Hey great design and craftsmanship Opa!!! Lotsa thought must have went into that thing! Great job!

Quote:
gig.gif
Ha HA! And I thought this was MY saying!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Since I keep getting email request for nest boxes I thought I'd bump this to more it up on my list of posts and thus make it easier for me to find.

Back
Top Bottom