New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Hello! I wish I'd seen these plans a couple of weeks ago. We had to kill our favourite hen Attila because she was eating all the eggs that the other hens laid. I really miss her.
sad.png
Hubby is currently building a large new chicken coop for us so I'll pass these plans on to him. I was wondering two things...

1) do you think it would be possible to make the rollaway space deep enough that it could collect up to a week's worth of eggs when we need to go away? Or will the slope be so long that the eggs will crack.

2) I'm in the UK and can't get the nesting pads here so my only option is astroturf type stuff. Only problem I can think of is that it's green. Won't my chickens try and eat it?Lol!

Minamoo, I think if you increased the length of the ramp and the size of the collection area to accomodate the additional eggs you would be okay. Keep the dimension of the actual nest the same.
For the nest pads check with www.CutlerSupply.com Astroturf would work but would soon become fouled. You might look into doormats that look like grass and are designed for foot cleaning.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the doormats a check. Cutlers supply doesn't ship outside the US unfortunately.
sad.png

Okay I have a question, sorry if this has been asked before. I plan on building this coop. I live in Tx, where it gets 105 easily during the summer months. I wanted to change the nest boxes so I could have rollout nests. Since I have a few chickens that have decided to start eating eggs. I have to leave the house at 6:15 am and dont get home until 4pm. Is there a way I could still do the rollout nests? I cant have the eggs sitting out in the sun, if I use these nests. But I dont know of any other way to keep the chickens from eating the eggs.

Mr OPA: You are a man of many talents. Of which patience is one of them. My pet peeve is someone posting a question about something posted that has already been explained, which means they have not read the entire thread. You must be a little frustrated. Thanks for your patience.

That is an awesome looking box with explanations and plans. I need to design 2- 6 hole roll away boxes put at 90 degree angle due to design of my shed. I need to incorporate the back of roll out sections to fit into each other or else have one quite a bit higher than the other. Its all workable. Thanks for your easy design ideas. I will post some pics of my design probably in a couple months when I complete after my holidays.

Good work man.

Hey there Opa, I got mine built but frustratingly the chooks won't use it. I had it raised, but now I've placed it on the floor. I've tried the golf ball. They are laying on top of it and on the floor now and still eating their eggs. Maybe I should try taking the ramp out and putting hay in for a while til they get used to it, or taking the roof off?

FRONT VIEW
file-2.jpg

REAR VIEW
file-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom