New roo and fertility questions

cowgirlup11

Chirping
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan Canada
Ok, so my last imcubation (old rooster) i believe had between a 70-80% fertility rate.. It could have been less but definetly not more. And only ONCE ever have any of my
Leghorn eggs been fertile (I have tried several times to hatch them). Now about two weeks ago I brought home an Ameraucana rooster and removed the other one.
I set 36 eggs 12 of which are leghorn and tonight on day 3 I can tell very clearly that every single egg has a great looking emryo growing! That is 100% fertility, would It be safe to Assume that the
Majority (especially the leghorn) of the eggs are from the new roo?

If the hens have been with the new rooster for a week or more before you started setting eggs, the majority of the eggs should be fertilised by the new guy, yes. Hens can and do store sperm for 3+ weeks after a successful mating, but when mated again by a new rooster, his sperm will dominate in the fertilising process after a week or so.

To be safe I would wait 3-4 weeks after introducing the new rooster to start collecting eggs for incubation. Otherwise if you collect before many of the chicks will have been fathered by the old rooster, his sperm last 3-4 week in the hen.

Best of luck with your hatch! :D

Back
Top Bottom