1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New roo and fertility questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cowgirlup11, Apr 2, 2016.

1. cowgirlup11

cowgirlup11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    Ok, so my last imcubation (old rooster) i believe had between a 70-80% fertility rate.. It could have been less but definetly not more. And only ONCE ever have any of my
    Leghorn eggs been fertile (I have tried several times to hatch them). Now about two weeks ago I brought home an Ameraucana rooster and removed the other one.
    I set 36 eggs 12 of which are leghorn and tonight on day 3 I can tell very clearly that every single egg has a great looking emryo growing! That is 100% fertility, would It be safe to Assume that the
    Majority (especially the leghorn) of the eggs are from the new roo?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If the hens have been with the new rooster for a week or more before you started setting eggs, the majority of the eggs should be fertilised by the new guy, yes. Hens can and do store sperm for 3+ weeks after a successful mating, but when mated again by a new rooster, his sperm will dominate in the fertilising process after a week or so.

3. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    To be safe I would wait 3-4 weeks after introducing the new rooster to start collecting eggs for incubation. Otherwise if you collect before many of the chicks will have been fathered by the old rooster, his sperm last 3-4 week in the hen.

Best of luck with your hatch! :D

4. cowgirlup11

cowgirlup11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Saskatchewan Canada
    I just thought since my leghorn hens hadn't been laying fertile eggs till the new guy came in, that they must have been feetalized buy him...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by