New roo issue

honeynajar

Songster
May 19, 2011
Good morning all..... a few weeks back I shared the story of my frizzle roo that was trying to flog me and was very aggressive. I gave up the ghost and gave him away. That was last Wednesday. The energy in the coop was wonderful. So relaxed and the two remaining roos seemed to enjoy having the flock to themselves and it was so nice to not be afraid anymore to go into the run. This am, I opened the door to the coop to let everyone out, my white silkie roo came out guns blazing and attacked my legs. 😵 WTH! He took off when I kicked at him but then came back. Once more hens were in the yard then his attention was taken away from me onto them. When I exited the coop, he was definitely eyeing me up. Seriously... I'm just so lost. I don't want to give him away. I love the diversity of the two different roo breeds with my crew. Any thoughts? I'm seriously sad. What am I doing wrong? TIA!

I've been "telling" my cockerel that I AM the boss. He hasn't been listening very well. I've tried giving him the treats, to share with his ladies, so he doesn't think I'm trying to woo them away. Maybe a little success with that.

His usual method to show he's in charge is to run at my feet, head down, hackles out. He would dart in, jump back before I could catch him. A few times I "pecked" him with my fingers, but he's fast, and I'm not.

Last week, he came at my feet while I was in the coop. There is about 6" of soft bedding, so he couldn't jump out of the way as fast, or else I got lucky, but I nabbed him. I held him down, one hand on his back, one on his neck, for about 30 seconds.

I've had this "discussion" with him twice more now. The last couple of days, he has stayed out of my way and been a perfect gentleman to the ladies. But if he "forgets," I am going to have another talk with him.

I don't do the "carry around until he calms down" method either. He's kind of squirmy, and I'd be afraid I'd drop him.

Sally I bow to your bravery! I must be a "chicken". :D LOL
I've been "telling" my cockerel that I AM the boss. He hasn't been listening very well. I've tried giving him the treats, to share with his ladies, so he doesn't think I'm trying to woo them away. Maybe a little success with that.

His usual method to show he's in charge is to run at my feet, head down, hackles out. He would dart in, jump back before I could catch him. A few times I "pecked" him with my fingers, but he's fast, and I'm not.

Last week, he came at my feet while I was in the coop. There is about 6" of soft bedding, so he couldn't jump out of the way as fast, or else I got lucky, but I nabbed him. I held him down, one hand on his back, one on his neck, for about 30 seconds.

I've had this "discussion" with him twice more now. The last couple of days, he has stayed out of my way and been a perfect gentleman to the ladies. But if he "forgets," I am going to have another talk with him.

I don't do the "carry around until he calms down" method either. He's kind of squirmy, and I'd be afraid I'd drop him.

Sally I bow to your bravery! I must be a "chicken". :D LOL

Believe me, I surprised myself! I think I just got lucky the first time, and that made me braver. If I could do it once, I could do it again. Also, he couldn't have hurt me anyway. I had on pants, winter coat, gloves, hat, and I wear glasses.

The only bare skin he could have reached is my face. Glasses protect my eyes, and I think reflexes will keep him from getting my uncovered face. Even my slow reflexes.

Oh, just in case you didn't know... chickens are attracted to shiny things. Your eyes are shiny. Never allow chickens near your face. People have lost eyes to chickens. Little kids are down at their level, so they are even more in danger.

Well Sally I'm amazed that I still have 2 eyes then. I do wear glasses as well but the number of hens I've cuddled... well it's a lot. Especially Beaky who is handicapped with a bottom part of her beak is jacked up and cocked to the side. I've had to baby her along.
Thanks for responding!
Believe me, I surprised myself! I think I just got lucky the first time, and that made me braver. If I could do it once, I could do it again. Also, he couldn't have hurt me anyway. I had on pants, winter coat, gloves, hat, and I wear glasses.

The only bare skin he could have reached is my face. Glasses protect my eyes, and I think reflexes will keep him from getting my uncovered face. Even my slow reflexes.

Oh, just in case you didn't know... chickens are attracted to shiny things. Your eyes are shiny. Never allow chickens near your face. People have lost eyes to chickens. Little kids are down at their level, so they are even more in danger.

Well Sally I'm amazed that I still have 2 eyes then.

Glad they haven't gotten you! Some birds are more "pecky" than others, I think. And some seem to know not to peck at certain things. I don't think any my pullets would peck at my face... but I'm not gonna let my cockerel anywhere near my face, for sure.

Good luck!

I had this problem with my EE roo a couple months ago. I could easily pick him up, and did, but my 8 year olds couldn’t. So I told them to act like a rooster. This is what I told them: “He’s challenging you. You’re bigger than him though. Puff out your arms and bend slightly at knees. Walk toward him and get into his space until he backs down. Don’t run away from him and look away from him. Wait until he walks away and pecks at the ground.”
Now whenever Fuzzy does his dance, he drops a wing and side hustles toward us, this is what my kids do. And every time Fuzzy backs down. For the rest of the day he’s fine. Sometime my kids confuse Fuzzy walking for him challenging them but they’re kids. You gotta stand up for yourself. Be the bigger rooster.

Especially since he’s a Silkie...is picking his sassy butt up really not an option? That’s how we deal with our roosters when they are “feeling their oats” we are currently dealing with one right now so your not alone...:barnie

Back
Top Bottom