New Roo Missing One Spur

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bard Shamrock, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Bard Shamrock

Bard Shamrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    East Virginia
    I bought my first chickens over the weekend, including a beautiful 3-year-old Barred Rock rooster.

I noticed yesterday that he only has one spur. Do spurs get knocked off? Do they ever grow back?

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Pro'bly lost it in a fight or something. It will grow back. Consider your hens lucky! 3 years old is kinda getting up there in age for a chicken though. He might not be much good for breeding, if that's what you want in the spring.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

I dissagree about the age of the rooster. I`m certain that a rooster in good health won`t slow down until he`s past 6 years old. And, depending on how he lost it, spurs usually grow back.....Pop

4. Bard Shamrock

Bard Shamrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    East Virginia
    Thanks for the replies. The seller claimed that chickens (or his chicken) would live 7 years or so.

He's real nice rooster. And he was looking slam full up horny with one of the hens he had never met (or that was my perception, and I bet I was right) on the first day.

Do Barred Rock roosters ever get tame enough to handle? Or just the hens? They're beautiful birds, in my humble opinion.

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    The birds can live a long time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are fertile a long time. For example, I have two three year old banty hens, and neither one has laid an egg for a LONG time. I have a roo the same age, who has his turn with the ladies plenty, and only twice the whole summer have I gotten a chick that is obviously his offspring (out of about 40 chicks).

I think any kind of roo can probably be tamed. Lots of treats and such would help I bet. I've never had a full-sized roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by