New roo.

dada

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Bracey Va
I have 9 hens. I just got a rooster today. Will he stay with them and not run off. I want to let him free range with the hens. He is the only rooster.

So what exactly is your question?
wink.png

Gues I'm asking do I need to coop him up a couple days or just let him go. Will he run away.

I did it the opposite way. I bought my rooster six young hens. Because they were young, not sexually mature yet, I put him in a dog kennel inside the coop with them so they could all get to know each other without physical contact. I left him in there, feeding etc separately, for a week. Then I let him out to live with them. THEN I let them all outdoors. They all get along just fine. After a month or so they matured and he began mating them. So that worked for me but there's lots of ways of doing it. I was being extra protective of everybody.

Gues I'm asking do I need to coop him up a couple days or just let him go. Will he run away.
The way I trained my chickens to forage near my coop, and never leave the yard, was to tie a thin rope around their leg. (The other end of the rope was tied to the coop.) Eventually they learned not to run off and they even will forage on our property line but will NOT go further than that.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom