New Roof planned..

what do the panels screw down to? trusses or purlins? Because my purlins will sit higher than my trusses if im stacking the 1" on the 2x4

both would be best, and maximize the structural diaphragm action. you can either notch the 2x4 to make flush (preferred) or shim the space with scrap 1x material.

They attach to the purlins which are attached to the trusses.
oh ok so in my drawing, My trusses need to mount to the walls and the purlins go on that. ok.

sheesh may be easier just to screw it down to the current OSB sheet after ripping off the roof tiles

oh ok so in my drawing, My trusses need to mount to the walls and the purlins go on that. ok.
Yes
sheesh may be easier just to screw it down to the current OSB sheet after ripping off the roof tiles
You can, but I wouldn't... it really needs something a little substantial to fasten it to... unless it's ¾ OSB. Half inch just doesn't have the holding power. It should be fastened to the purlins every foot or so.

How about putting the purlins on the OSB? That way i reduce my building material waste. Right now my OSB is 4'x4'. Could i make two panels with those then overlap it and caulk the seam in the middle?

It makes me nervous b/c currently it leaks in the middle in heavy rain, despite my roofing tiles.

I just t finished 2 new coops and one I used left over shingles but the 2nd one I used Ondura form Lowes, it is a rubber fiber sheet . It went up so quickly I loved it and the installation pamphlet did mention putting it on Purlins was possible, I used OSB under mine because of snow loads in New England.

You mentioned that your current roof leaks-- even though you are using composite shingles. Odd! I think you've got the sagging issue talked out. What about your pitch? You have next to nothing for a pitch. I like to use a 5:1 ratio or right around there-- even steeper would be fine, but that is the pitch I prefer. You will have less sagging and leaking with the correct pitch for your area-- depending on snow loads, rain fall, etc your area receives. Also-- tip for you-- I think the metal roofing would be best but I'm sure you'll be fine with the plastic stuff. I'd stay away from the Ondura. It was the roof I *was* going to use. If you read the reviews about it, you'll go running the other way. Apparently, it compresses under weight, falls apart at the nail holes, and starts to cause problems soon after installment. But if you read the brochures, it sounds like the best stuff on earth. It's too bad, because I liked the colors it comes in. Also, yes, you can put purlins over OSB. But I'd resolve your pitch issue, and then if you wanted to put OSB over your new pitch, do it, then shim your purlins over the top of that. I didn't read thru everything, was extra trusses suggested? That is likely why you are sagging as well. On my Coop page, I have my roof explained... I don't know if that would help or not, but just a thought if you wanted to see how I did mine.
idunno.gif

I believe i have a 6:1 pitch. My coop is 48 inches deep and my front is 8 inches higher. As for adding trusses, I have to keep in mind this is a movable coop, not a shed that will stay there for years. Otherwise I'd build a real roof. In fact, I can't even put in trusses unless I raise the outer walls higher as the middle panel is the same height as the outer ones.

As for the current roof leak, I think it's from rain getting into the front (there's no flashing or real end, just a wood L i fit over the stacked tiles) and trickling down. It's minor, just irritating. It's a very slow trickle.

I prefer plastic over metal b/c metal is noisy when it rains, plus it weighs more.

I believe i have a 6:1 pitch. My coop is 48 inches deep and my front is 8 inches higher. As for adding trusses, I have to keep in mind this is a movable coop, not a shed that will stay there for years. Otherwise I'd build a real roof. In fact, I can't even put in trusses unless I raise the outer walls higher as the middle panel is the same height as the outer ones.

As for the current roof leak, I think it's from rain getting into the front (there's no flashing or real end, just a wood L i fit over the stacked tiles) and trickling down. It's minor, just irritating. It's a very slow trickle.

I prefer plastic over metal b/c metal is noisy when it rains, plus it weighs more.
Sounds good. That roof flashing is super cheap AND light weight.
wink.png
You have a higher pitch than it looks like in the pictures. Yes, the metal is heavier, for sure. Sounds like you have it figured out. :)

my bad thought it was just run over rise.

I did find the fiberglass panels at Lowes despite their removal from the website. Think I'll go with the commercial quality one (Sequentia super 600) bc they have a 20 year warranty.

I still want easy in and out installation however. Can I make my purlin/truss grid then lay it in and screw down the panels to that? I'm still thinking of using those hardware pieces to rest wood into. I'm thinking 2x4 or 2x3 for the purlins and 1x2 furring strips for the horizontal pieces.

There isn't much weight bearing down on my coop roop so that should be good right?

Back
Top Bottom