New rooster crowing constantly

ChickyNuggets

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
Iowa
I was just gifted an Easter Egger rooster who is about a year old. He came from a flock with 12 hens and was a quiet, sweet boy.

I have 6 girls who are 7 months old that I've had since birth(from a hatchery)They are also not laying yet,if that matters.

On the first day(yesterday),I placed him in a tractor outside the girls' run so they can see each other.They were all very curious and there weren't any issues.

Today,he started crowing nonstop. He has probably crowed at least 50 times in the last 3 hours. He did not do this at his old home.

I let him in the run with the girls for introductions and he is still crowing like crazy. His health is fine,there is plenty of food and water. The run is plenty big enough(20×6) and they are all getting along with minimal issues.

Is this because he is in a new area and is making his presence known? Will it stop? It's not an issue since I live in the country.There are other roosters near me.It is just quite concerning since he was not like this before.I'm not against putting him in the pot if it continues.

Normal behaviour. But I would house him separately until your pullets are laying, mayb in their coop in a dog cage so he can see and socialize but not touch.. It is terribly stressful for pullets to be pursued and harrassed by a rooster, if they have no drive to mate yet.
OTOH, if he just stays with them but doesn't attempt to mate them (he could be the exceptional sensible rooster), then he could be with them.
He will stop crowing when he is not so upset and discombobulated from a move to strange digs with unknown birds.
Did you find out why he was being given away?

Normal behaviour. But I would house him separately until your pullets are laying, mayb in their coop in a dog cage so he can see and socialize but not touch.. It is terribly stressful for pullets to be pursued and harrassed by a rooster, if they have no drive to mate yet.
OTOH, if he just stays with them but doesn't attempt to mate them (he could be the exceptional sensible rooster), then he could be with them.
He will stop crowing when he is not so upset and discombobulated from a move to strange digs with unknown birds.
Did you find out why he was being given away?
He was given by a family member who was moving and couldn't take him with.He is a really sweet boy.He has been with the girls for a couple weeks now and he has not tried mating with them.They have all got along exceptionally well. He still crows like crazy for a few hours in the morning but then he calms down a bit after noon.I actually got my first eggs ever the 3rd day he was with them.

Back
Top Bottom