New Rooster keeps throwing up, whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SueMuffin, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SueMuffin

SueMuffin In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have a new Buff Orp rooster in Quarentine and I have noticed he is throwing up after he drinks water and then goes right to his crumbles. Is this normal? did he just drink too much water or is this a sign of something bad? He is about 25 weeks old. This is my first experience with roosters so I have no clue. Thanks for any help.

2. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Songster

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Quote:That doesn't sound normal. I don't remember ever seeing any of my roos doing this, but then again you never know. I'm curious to see what the more experienced BYCers have to say. [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    how does his crop feel???

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Chickens don't really throw up, per se, but it can look like they are.
    If he's doing it only when he drinks, he may be drinking too much at once or he may have a crop issue.

5. SueMuffin

SueMuffin In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I didnt check his crop, I will check it in the morning and get back to this thread, thanks.

6. rooster lover 119

rooster lover 119 Chirping

Aug 8, 2010
    Try giving him electrolytes like baby pediolight. it will flush out his system.

7. SueMuffin

SueMuffin In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    well I checked the crop and it seems fine, even softer than usual I think. But this is my first roo, and I've only had hens since July. So I really know NOTHING about them yet.

8. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Seems like I've read that some chickens get in the habit of drinking too much water at once. This can certainly happen if they haven't had water available for a while. If water is always available, and he has no other symptoms, I'd just watch him for a while to see if anything else turns up. Maybe check the crop a couple more times to make sure it is full in the PM and empty in the AM. Good luck!

9. SueMuffin

SueMuffin In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    thanks to all who posted I will continue to watch him during his quarentine and if I still have problems will not put him in with my hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: