New Rooster keeps throwing up, whats wrong?

SueMuffin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 30, 2010
Hudson Valley, NY
I have a new Buff Orp rooster in Quarentine and I have noticed he is throwing up after he drinks water and then goes right to his crumbles. Is this normal? did he just drink too much water or is this a sign of something bad? He is about 25 weeks old. This is my first experience with roosters so I have no clue. Thanks for any help.

Quote:
That doesn't sound normal. I don't remember ever seeing any of my roos doing this, but then again you never know. I'm curious to see what the more experienced BYCers have to say.
caf.gif

Chickens don't really throw up, per se, but it can look like they are.
If he's doing it only when he drinks, he may be drinking too much at once or he may have a crop issue.

well I checked the crop and it seems fine, even softer than usual I think. But this is my first roo, and I've only had hens since July. So I really know NOTHING about them yet.

Seems like I've read that some chickens get in the habit of drinking too much water at once. This can certainly happen if they haven't had water available for a while. If water is always available, and he has no other symptoms, I'd just watch him for a while to see if anything else turns up. Maybe check the crop a couple more times to make sure it is full in the PM and empty in the AM. Good luck!

thanks to all who posted I will continue to watch him during his quarentine and if I still have problems will not put him in with my hens.

thanks to all who posted I will continue to watch him during his quarentine and if I still have problems will not put him in with my hens.
Any update on this rooster? I got a rooster 3 weeks ago and he does the same thing. I’ve seen him throwing up water on a regular basis. All of the chickens have fresh clean water I change out daily. I do have a hen that forces regurgitation when I pick her up, but the rooster is different. He does it regularly on his own for no apparent reason. He seems healthy otherwise. He is a Polish.

Back
Top Bottom