New Run Roof - PolyCarbonate Panels

RhodeIslandRedFan

Songster
10 Years
Dec 10, 2009
Central PA
Got 1 chicken in October before I had a coop or run, and I've been designing and redesigning since then. I needed a coop fast for my chicken so I bought one:(. Got tired of dragging a tarp on and off (on in rain and snow, off when sunny), so this week I bought Tuftex polycarbonate roofing panels at Loew's, clear to let sun and light in. Spent all day yesterday with hubby freezing putting up the panels. Keeping all of my fingers crossed they will hold up to both wind and snow. Thought I'd pass this along in case anyone else might be interested in these. I think I've seen these in some of your run pictures. They are covered right now with 4-5 inches of snow (got them up just in time) so I can't post pics. I'll add to this post if I have any problems with them through the next several months. By the way, I now have 3 RIRs, 1 is laying an egg a day and the other 2 have really red combs and are squatting but no eggs yet from them. Have a happy day with your chickens!
smile.png
smile.png
big_smile.png

Other that a hot climate, I think the transparent polycarbonate stuff is the way to go as it allows light in. I would not want any solid roof over an entire run unless it was a really small one.

If proper reinforcement is used in the underside framing, these panels can take a lot of weight. They stand up well to sunlight, as the newer ones are UV resistant. I used them to make a smaller covered run, within a large run, for those ugly days. It's been great having it.
smile.png

100_0793.jpg

100_0420.jpg

We use those on our tractors of all shapes and sizes. They have held up to 60 mph winds and been great for rain. They laugh at the little amount of snow we get so the above poster, bill, is better at proving that.
These panels are easy to cut and put on, not to mention very cost efficient. I have never used the clear ones because the summer sun here is deadly. Mostly the white or tan panels but DH decided to try that green roof on one, though in the photo the tractor is on it's side so we can put them on easier.

9332_whats_the_white_stuff_.jpg

9332_almost_complete.jpg

9332_finishing_roof.jpg

9332_tractors_in_the_snow.jpg

9332_big_tractor.jpg

I use the suntuf atm inside the coop. Works great!!

Only issue I have had is in freezing weather, the heat from the birds condenses on the suntuf panels. It frosts over, and then it then drips when the temp rises.... /sigh

So what we did is what Pat suggested....we put bubblewrap between the birds and the suntuf panel. We stapled it well and there is still a tonne of light that comes thru, but no drips now
smile.png
Flatside against the suntuf, and the bubbles facing down. It works great
smile.png
It's too high for the birds to get so they cant eat it either.

Just letting you know
smile.png

We are going to do suntuf again the next coop we build...but will have to come up with a plan to better use it. The coop itself isnt insulated btw, so that probably contributed to it. Plenty of ventilation... but that icy weather drove us nuts with the drips.

Back
Top Bottom