New Runner Duck Hates Me... help.

Vickers58

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Dallas, tx
Well maybe he doesn't hate me.

We just got him on this past weekend and hes full grown. I make sure to hold him a few times a day. He will let me hold him and stroke his head, but he shivers the whole time and as soon as I put him down he runs and hides. If any of us are outside he runs inside his hidey hole! We are starting to develop a complex!

Will it just take some time for him to get used to us?

Any advice on how to make Richard love us as much as we love him would be helpful!!

Every time that you approach him, provide something to eat. Remember that ducks are prey animals. Everytime that you catch him you are fueling his fear. The idea is to get him to come to you, and hunger is the best motivator.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
i never chase him, he is usually hunkered in a corner somewhere... but i always talk really slow and soft and pet him before actually picking him up...

What types of treats cannot be turned down? Everything I have tossed his way gets the stink eye until I have left the area. I need a really awesome treat to get this guy to like me!

I need a really awesome treat to get this guy to like me!

More likely you need to get him hungry enough that his hunger overcomes his fear. Initially provide feed about 5 or 6' away from you and stand quietly while he eats. Move the feed closer and closer until he is comfortable in your presence. This will take a long time as he evidently was not socialized in his last home.

Thanks for your help!

One question though.... you said to make sure he is hungry enough to want to eat? I leave food out for him all day long. How long does it take for a duck to get hungry...without causing any harm!

You need to remember ducks are not like dogs and cats. You normally cannot just walk to them and expect them to jump into your lap. I got both my Welsh Harlequin duck and drake when they were 6 months old or so and I still have to walk slow to catch them if I need to. I don't feel the NEED to hold them though. Grip them tight (not TOO tight!) and make sure his legs are supported and not dangling and tuck his wings under him so he is not flapping around. He doesn't hate you; he is a prey animal and scared. Give it time.

Thanks for your help!

One question though.... you said to make sure he is hungry enough to want to eat? I leave food out for him all day long. How long does it take for a duck to get hungry...without causing any harm!

Mealworms are great! My ducks LOVE mealworms.

+1 on the mealworms. works like a charm for getting ducks to warm up to you. But as for the question, currently having a problem with my magpie. got him at a year old. funny enough, the mallards i already had were used to me, but after spending about 2 months with the magpie, they now run from me too. like literally FREAK out if i get close. going to introduce some hand raised chicks as soon as they're full grown.

Back
Top Bottom