New silkie acting strange

I use this feeder in the new chicken area because it’s small and I never get more than 2 at a time in this pin and just until they ready to go in with the other chickens. Also I felt the pelvic area and she has the gap for the egg.
I'm pretty sure it's Male. Some males have gaps, it depends on the individual.

I'd try something with larger holes for reaching the feed at least.

With every new bird I recommend the following routine during the 4 weeks of quarantine:

• Check thoroughly for poultry mites and lice and treat accordingly if necessary.
  • Deworm
  • Treat for scaly leg mites
And yes, this bird looks male to me too, just like @MysteryChicken already mentioned.

ETA:

And check the soles and feet/claws carefully. Sometimes the fith toes can have the nail grow in, thus causing pain when trying to walk.

This bird might be in need of a proper vitamin boost as well.

Last edited:
With every new bird I recommend the following routine during the 4 weeks of quarantine:

• Check thoroughly for poultry mites and lice and treat accordingly if necessary.
  • Deworm
  • Treat for scaly leg mites
And yes, this bird looks male to me too, just like @MysteryChicken already mentioned.
I checked for lice and mites and didn’t see any but there is a dust bath in her pin. I checked her feet and don’t see any signs of bumble foot or anything like that besides her nails are a little long. I put garlic thyme and oregano in their feed to deworm.

I checked for lice and mites and didn’t see any but there is a dust bath in her pin. I checked her feet and don’t see any signs of bumble foot or anything like that besides her nails are a little long. I put garlic thyme and oregano in their feed to deworm.
While thy, oregano and garlic are a nice addition to keep the gut healthy, they don't act as a dewormer in case this bird has an actual infestation.

It would be better to get some chemical dewormer and treat according to the directions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/worming-methods.56784/

Back
Top Bottom