New Silkie Chick- Questions and a Concern

ThoseVoices

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2017
So a few weeks ago i got 6 chicks to start a flock. Today i found some silkie chicks for sale- ive always dreamed of having a silkie. Bought one extra chick. Shes significantly smaller than the others (due to few week age difference) and i have her in quarantine at the moment. Im sure the poor thing is a bit stressed from the move to her new home. One thing i noted is she keeps her beak open much of the time. I dont know if that means something is wrong or if its something chicks do when theyre stressed. Ive given her a little bowl of food and mixed hard boiled egg into it but she hasnt really touched it yet. I made sure she got some water. Any tips on anything else i should look for or do to make sure shes healthy?

Hi
I am new to chick raising too. Will be introducing my two week old chicks to the five week old chicks tonight.
I am wondering her beak being open sometimes, (I have read) is from being too hot, they actually are trying too cool off. Is
she standing away from the heat lamp. That is just my guess.

Let me know later how the other chicks do with her.

:) oh and is she drinking

Last edited:
Shes standing in the middle of the enclosure so about mid way from the lamp and i put a little 'tent' in there to make sure there was a place to go if i didnt realize it was too hot im keeping a close eye on her cause man i really really really want to raise this silkie well so she can grow with the others. So far im gonna wait awhile to make sure shes not sick before with the others- but i can let you know in a few days or so

And shes trying to nap right now- but i did make sure she had some fluids, i looked up that a bit of sugarwater is good for them so i gave that to her

Last edited:
Could be stess. I'm not sure I would ever keep one chick by themselves as it could be more stressful. Could you get one of her hatchmates and put with her?

I cant keep anymore chickens than i have- i would put her with the others but if she has a disease i dont know about i dont want it to spread. My aunt who raises chickens says a feather duster may help her since big and feathery like a mother hen...
Good news though- she did eat a little after her nap

Heres a picture of her- just a tiny baby! Her name is Lucille.
After a bit of rest shes calmed immensely and is eating and drinking and seeming fairly healthy. She adores cuddles~

I cant keep anymore chickens than i have- i would put her with the others but if she has a disease i dont know about i dont want it to spread. My aunt who raises chickens says a feather duster may help her since big and feathery like a mother hen...
Good news though- she did eat a little after her nap

Assuming that most (or even some) of your chicks are straight run you'll end up with a few roosters anyway. The silkie chick could be a rooster. Personally, I would get her a friend and just rehome one later and hope at least one of them is a hen.

She's adorable. I have 9 silkie babies running around here right now. 6 are with mamas and I love watching them learn from her.

She is straight run- but i did pick her how i picked the others- the only o e i didnt pick was the o e who turned out to be a rooster who is now in my aunts care- i know feather sexing isnt accurate with many breeds but i picked out one with pinfeathers and it seems its only about afew days to a week old.
So hopefully it does turn out to be a female- i dont know if all silkies are a bantam breed but mine is bantam

She is straight run- but i did pick her how i picked the others- the only o e i didnt pick was the o e who turned out to be a rooster who is now in my aunts care- i know feather sexing isnt accurate with many breeds but i picked out one with pinfeathers and it seems its only about afew days to a week old.
So hopefully it does turn out to be a female- i dont know if all silkies are a bantam breed but mine is bantam

Unfortunately silkies cannot be wing sexed. They are one of the harder breeds to sex and usually you don't know until 4-6 months. Stinkers!!

Back
Top Bottom