New Silkie Chicks Infested.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tiffany24, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Tiffany24

Tiffany24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Hi, Earlier I got 2 black Silkie chicks. I didn't handle them when I got them from the breeder and that was my mistake. I didn't know that silkies have black skin and the chicks looked fully feathered. When I got home I noticed the poor babies didn't have as many feathers as I thought. I looked under their wings to see if they had any feathers there and they were bare all I seen was these little bugs! I took them into another room with better light and they have a lot of little bugs crawling on them. The little chicks feel like the are mostly bones but have a full crop so I could tell they were eating. Can the bugs which I'm guessing are Lice cause the chicks to loose so many feathers and be so Skinny? Thanks.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Yes, they can. Get Sevin or Garden and Poultry Dust and use that.
    Good luck!

3. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    A bath right away will make them feel better. Some use Dawn detergent, shampoo, lice shampoo with tea tree etc. I like Dr Bronners with lavender because it will leave a nice scent and deter bugs. Young silkies may just not have a lot of feathering yet. My silkies at full weight feel like they are skinny compared to the others. Lice and mites tax the system so maybe give them some scramble egg and a dab of molasses in water.

4. Tiffany24

Oct 6, 2012
    I gave them a bath last night with baby shampoo, only a little bit. They both got really weak. The biggest chick past away sometime last night and the Smaller chick is up chirping and doing really good right now. I feel like its my fault because I gave him a bath.

What is Seven? I actually think we have some but I'm not sure if its the same thing.
    Thanks

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Seven garden dust. It will kill the bugs immediately. Dust again in 10 days.

6. Tiffany24

Oct 6, 2012
    Ok, I have that. This makes me feel a lot better. Thanks.

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    With the babies I like to take a pinch of it and put it on the head/neck area and under the wings, along the back and under the belly. Don't let it get it in its lungs.

8. Tiffany24

Oct 6, 2012
    I was wondering about that. I was worried it might hurt them if it got in his/her eyes, mouth, and lungs.

9. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    You might want to think about Polyvisol human infant vitamins added to water if they are that weak. The molasses would help for energy because of the sugar. I dust birds and coops often with DE for regular maintenance. I sometimes spray orange oil on the coop walls to keep out pests. Note that if their environment still has them the chickens will still have them.

I'm so very sorry you lost one. You gave them some relief and comfort if only briefly.

10. kapie9969

kapie9969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Yeah,dust em.Consider DE also.And spread some wherever they are housed at. Ok,DE is disidous earth food grade,ive spelled that wrong but read up on it in the forums here.its handy to have around.Kills pests and keeps down odors.The sevin dust would be good right at the bat.Let us know how it turned out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by