New silkie introduction not going well

My guys live with silkies and get along great, but I just got this tiny girl and haven't worked on the introductions yet, However this little girl is so small she may end up a house chicken
big_smile.png

I have all silkies and new introductions are tough. I have done the recommended "cage in a cage" method and it works most of the time. However, one time that didn't work so I had to take a different approach (hafta be smarter than the chicken, right?). I have a dominate hen in one coop and she wouldn't accept the newbie. Sooo, I took HER out and put the newbie in at night after everyone else had gone to roost (piled into the nest box). I kept her isolated for 2 weeks in a smaller coop out of sight from the others. When I put her back in the original coop she had lost her status in the pecking order and had to start over earning her rank. She was so busy bullying all the others, the newbie didn't get more than her share. She is "Queen" again, but the newbie is happily part of her court and all is well.

Chickens invented the pecking order. Humans just copy it.

Keeping her in a cage within the coop and run is definately the best method. The birds can work out some of their new pecking order disputes through posturing, rather than actual fighting. Then the fighting should be less or none when you finally let her out. Just be sure not to get impatient and let her out too soon. I'd suggest at least a week. Maybe you can allow her to be loose in the run while the other hens are locked in the coop for about an hour each day to let her get used to her new environment, and so they will get use to signs of her being around? Just a thought. Hope it works out. Oh, also if it is only one hen that attacks her when you do let her out with them, matbe you could then put that hen in the cage for a few days to change her status in the flock? Just a thought.

If all else fails there's always chicken daipers for your new "house chicken."
big_smile.png

Alright..I don't think this is ever going to work out like I want it to. The poor little silkie was sleeping against the side of the cage and the ee went up and pulled a big mouthful of fluff out of the side of her neck...Soooo, her cage is now on the back porch...
barnie.gif
The funny thing is that when we had our meat chickens they would free range with the 2 easter eggers and there weren't any problems. I think the silkie is just way too docile for the other two. and looks very different. I'm picking dh up from the airport today so I'll tell him the whole story. Hopefully he gives in and we can have a separate smaller coop for 2 silkies. I'm going tell him its either that or I'm buying the chicken diapers and shes coming inside! LOL (yeah right)

Back
Top Bottom