New skid for day-range shelter

Did you put wheels on that thing?

I use something similar but mine are 8 x 10. I don't have the scissors in there like yours but I have some wheels on the outside I pull with a dolly

http://gallery.me.com/anthonyjames420#100451&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=0

But one thing I thought of was taking the top sheet of metal off in winter and replacing with clear plastic and running them long and creating a 40'+ long tunnel with direct sunlight and heating in the winter.

Do you have any other images of the inside and your back latching system?

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

One acre, self-sufficient, with a dairy cow, chickens and pigs? Plus a garden on the other half? And you put the house and barn where?
Dry litter method for poopy cow, yuck!
Eight minutes a day to milk the Jersey, I've got to see that, since I'm assuming the average Homesteader doesn't have a machine. I had a Jersey and it took me a long time to milk everyday. Lots more than eight minutes! I couldn't even wash her udder in eight minutes!
lau.gif

Quote:
No wheels, it's on 16' 4x4 skids. I'm going to pull it with my tractor.

Ill take some more pictures of the inside tomorrow and post them.

I might need to put a shade cloth or tarp on it during parts of the summer or risk turning it into a giant solar oven.

I have 2 friends that keep chickens in a large greenhouse (stationary). The coop/greenhouses I have seen were excellent for winter time, but it gets HOT HOT HOT starting in the early part of summer, even with several vents, fan, and open door. It causes hens to molt from heat stress. I could barely tolerate standing in there because of the heat and ammonia from composting litter. The chickens only come in the coop to get out of rain, lay an egg, roost at night, or to eat.

Have you thought of using Mylar or space blankets to cover the coop? The would think a cover with reflective properties would help keep the coop cool because it doesn't absorb much heat, and it could help deter hawks. just a thought
cool.png

Quote:
I just read this idealistic manifesto... this author must have just feasted on some Alice B. Toklas brownies to write this article.
hu.gif
One would have to have ideal soils, ideal rainfall, ideal climate, ideal animals, ideal crops, ideal lack of pests and predators , ideal labor help and ideal health to pull off what he proclaims for yields on an acre of land. I have 20 acres on a high arrid valley in central Cal. and I have not been able to come even close to his ECONOMIC ideal in self sufficiency for my wife and myself ( kids are grown) in the past 15 years of trying on this property.
barnie.gif
I guess that I was too dumb to realize what the carrying capacity was of this land when we purchased what was once an open rangeland that supported only 2 head of beef cattle for only 4 winter/spring months for over the last century.
idunno.gif

I just wanna know how they composted 150lbs or so of cow manure and urine per day
big_smile.png
I was doubting the math on rotational grazing, but with perfect conditions, it writes up to be almost feasable...almost. The poo has me stumped.

OP - that is a pretty sweet shelter - do you by chance have material costs (and inside pics?) I'd be tempted to make one for a part time greenhouse/part time meatie coop
smile.png

We made it through Irene ok. Lost a big plum tree and were without power for two days, but it
wasn't too bad. The good news is that this shelter survived without a blemish even with all the
strong wind and flying debris.

We now have moved it out to the pasture and have put up the poultry netting. Looks a bit small
to me so I might order a second section of fence.
17846_2011-08-30_194133.jpg

Front View: This is the end with the door. You can see we made the step low enough for younger chickens.
(and older fathers!
tongue.png
)
17846_2011-08-30_195335.jpg

Inside: There isn't much to see. The only internal feature other than bracing is the roosts. Even
the scissor joists the roosts are on are bracing. It is hard to see in this pic, but there is rope
that ties each of the ribs together and anchors them to the end walls. This really was a great
way to firm up the top and provide a peak to force water off to the side.
17846_2011-08-30_194834.jpg

Hinged back flap: This allows me to fill the skid with shaving during the winter and keep it in one
spot. When spring arrives I can then just pull the skid away from the shavings. This should make
a nice raised bed for a garden once the pigs till it and the worms work it over.
17846_2011-08-30_195213.jpg

Holding it up for moving: I'll Only need to do this when I'm moving it off of shavings. It moves just
fine over pasture when it's down. But if something does get it the way (chicken, stump, rock, small
child) the hinges allow it to swing up to minimize damage to the object and to the skid itself.
When not moving it, these cords will be used to hold it closed.
17846_2011-08-30_195120.jpg

What's Next?: I need to cut a small pop door in the bigger door for the birds to move in
and out. I still haven't decided if I want to get one of those automatic doors or not. Any opinions
on that? I also need to install anchor points for those bungie cords and find a bit of shade cloth
or something like that. I will eventually need curtains for the ends during winter to hold in heat
and maybe removable nest boxes if I ever stick layers in there. Feed and water will be from free
standing devices.

That is really lovely.

Off topic a bit, you have to take Mother Earth News with a grain of salt. My favorite is the type of article they publish like "Build a Log Splitter for $5". Well darn, they are talking about building with "found" materials. I've never found a decent 5 hp motor just lying around unused in my barn. I always wondered if "found" meant found in someone else's barn after dark.

Back
Top Bottom