New subject for "I think I made a big mistake" Dac's broodies and chi

dacjohns

People Cracker Upper
11 Years
May 1, 2008
Wherever work sends me.
I have a broody that has been sitting for three weeks. Yesterday the eggs started hatching and by this morning I had 7 new chicks. I was checking to make sure everything was OK and pondering how to move her and chicks to a bigger nest box. The nest box is rather small, just for laying. I smelled a terrible odor from her box and figured that with the egg remains and the possibility of failed hatches or broken eggs I needed to get the mess cleaned up before maggots and other nasty things got a foothold.

I put together a larger box for her and chicks and then took her out of the nest box and moved her and chicks. I found 5 unhatched eggs. I thought they were all failed and thought I would try candling. Took them into the house and while trying unsuccessfully to candle the eggs I heard some peeping and my wife noticed that one of the eggs had pipping. Great, I just killed a chick I thought.

I took the eggs back to the nest box and tried to get the hen back on them but by now she had decided it was time to leave the nest with her chicks and teach them how to eat.

I now have the egg in the house and have been trying to nurse the poor thing without an incubator. We did try to remove some of the shell in a circle around the egg but the chick isn't doing much. It's been a good 8 hours and we have tried to keep the membrane moist but it is still very tough. we also noticed that there are two membranes, one attached to the shell and one close to the chick.

The impromptu incubator/booder has a heat source and we're trying to keep the temperature at 95. We have wet towels wrapped around the egg with a space for air.

Any suggestions besides let nature take its course?

Last edited:
:eek: I think the wet towels might be a bit much as far as humidity - is the membrane dry? Do you see any blood?

What are you using for heat?

Gosh I don't know how to help - other than keep it warm and humidity up - perhaps a heat lamp????

Last edited:
The membrane is wanting to dry out. We tried the suggestions in one of the sticky notes for intervention. We're using a 40 watt light bulb for heat, a 60 watt was too hot.

Mom is back in the box. Maybe I'll try putting the egg back under her. We have removed much of the shell in a circle around the egg so I'm afraid of it getting squished.

Stopped removing shell when we got a small (pin point sized) speck of blood.

SOunds like you're doing a darn good job........ is the baby still moving/peeping/breathing?

If there is no blood, perhaps take off a few more pieces of shell - but if you see blood STOP.

Keep the egg wrapped in something like a warm damp paper towel.....

Sounds like this little chick is just a tad behind the others. It will hatch when ready. Peeping is a good thing and the drop of blood just means it's not ready yet. I would keep moistening the exposed membrane by wetting my finger and rubbing it around the membrane. Keep the egg under the lamp till it hatches and dries out - hopefully tonight - then slip the baby chick back in box with mama and others.

I take my hatching eggs out of bator and put under a lamp to hatch many times because I often have staggered hatches and I don't want the new hatchees disturbing the eggs. I've never had a problem.

Thanks Wildsky,

It's peeping a little and moving some. Within the last hour it cracked some more shell, about a quatrer inch by half inch. Maybe our helping the pipping circle did some good.

Next time I'll have to be more patient and let the stinky nest be stinky I guess.

It might be a long night.

Oh thats good news, it seems the little chick is fine....

long night for sure... do you have a brooder set up? It would be good to sneak it back under mom, but you should wait till the baby is nice and dry...

Back
Top Bottom