NEW Sussex Color (Cuckoo)

riverrockfamilyfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
9 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Hi all, a friend of mine purchased a bunch of Sussex chicks from Paul Branshaw at Greenfire Farm. As the chicks matured one of them showed barring in its feathers. When she told Paul about it he wanted to buy the chick back from her. She kept the chick and now three generations later a new Sussex color that is breeding true. These are pure Sussex no other breeds have been used in the program. I wanted to post picture of my birds and see what you all think.

The Rooster is Second Generation and the Hen is a third generation pullet.

77869_cuckoo-sussex-rooster-aug-2.jpg

77869_cuckoo-sussex-hen-aug-2001-.jpg

I will be offering a limited number of these birds. So let me know what you think.

Neat chickens, but you sure about that? Sussex require white legs - That rooster shown has slate legs. And although Cuckoo patterning can alter leg color, it does not alter white legs.

I was looking in the APA today and the legs can be white or pink. Yes I am sure about his parentage. In the photo his legs do look slate but, they are pink with a touch of slate near the top. Kind of like what you see in the Silver Sussex.

Thanks for the feed back keep it coming. I will try and get a better picture of his legs and post them tomorrow.

I went through the pictures that I took today and found a good shot of his legs. What do you think? The number 50 leg band is the Rooster and the number 1 leg band is another 2nd generation hen.

77869_cuckoo-sussex-roosters-legs.jpg

Last edited:
White and Pink is the same thing.
wink.png
I think what they mean is that some "whites" like in males appear more pink than white.

That photo is pretty blurry, I'd love to see a better one if you can get one.

This here is an example of what his look like to me, and is slate. Though the soles are pink and the shanks may be tickled with pink, the legs are technically slate.

6103701008_0f3b28383e_z.jpg

White / Pink in comparison. Top of toes and shanks is a pearly white, going down to a nice pink color, then white again on soles.

6104786887_46d00f2670_o.jpg

Last edited:
This morning I will be taking picture on my Roosters legs. And also pictures of some of our Silver Sussex legs for comparison.

I am interested in finding a couple of breeders that might be interested in helping me develop this new color. If you are interested, let me know. If any of you that are experienced breeders and would like to chime in, that would be great. These are beautiful huge birds that have lovey temperaments. Lets chat!

Back
Top Bottom