New Test hatch Rumpless Tufted ?

Ytailhunter

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 17, 2008
Massena NY
Ok all you genetic guru's I did a test hatch to see several thing's .I aquired two Black Roosters and bred them to 3 white hens to see if my whites were recessive or dominant,and to see if my newly aquired blacks were extended black. 50% of all chicks were white and 50% were white .several of the black chick's have White tufts and chests, Will they remain this color ? Also the roosters I used for this breeding have very small tufts and the hens are clean faced . However several of the chicks were hatched with very big beautifull Bi-lateral tufts . Is it possible that these two roos with almost non existent tufts can produce such beautifull offspring ? In any event I am so pleased with the results of this test mating that I've already got 30 more in the bator and waiting to see if I get the same results.Please share your input.

Sometimes a better match for testing out whites is to use red(gold) base as dominant white does not have much effect on the gold series pigments(white tailed red sex links being excellent example- DW removing the black from the tails and hackles).

However if the white chicks show any randomly placed black spots, that's a sign of DW(out of a cross).

You're faced with the possibility at least one of the roosters was split for recessive white which can explain the 50/50 ratio.

The "penguin marks" normally go away as they feather out, so no they won't retain that pattern- they'll either turn out solid black, or be mostly black with leakiness if the whites don't have the helper genes for solid black chickens(a lot of white chickens are genetically black, helps with making a cleaner, crisper white.. usually).

Yes it is possible for "lousy tufted" to throw chicks with excellent tufts.. and so it goes vice versa. Tuft has a very variable expression, anything from a tiny one to huge honking full sized ones on both sides and everything in between.

Thanks Kev I appreciate your input, Do you breed rumpless tufted araucana as well, I have been told that the best blacks to keep are those with these markings(white chest) The large bi-lateral tufts were just an un-expected bonus,you see my flock has been producing a good percentage of chicks which are tufted anyway and I was just concerned about these two new roos would drop my percentage of tufted birds, after this next hatch I will have a better idea of what this paring will produce .This time however I am a lot more optimistic.Now if I can just get some tufted whites I will be doing great.

I think your test birds are a worthless waste of your feed money.....you need to send them to me instead.....

wink.png

I am also having fun with starting to figure out the genetics in my flock, and I'm also being pleasantly surprised by the percentage of double tufted chicks being produced (about 50% so far). It's a fun puzzle!

Don't have the breed anymore but did have them and did outcrosses with other breeds for a couple years. Enjoyed them but they went when I needed to downsize the flock.

Even the crosses and mongrels managed to produce some very nice tufted birds. The rumplessness did seem to become more 'variable' in the mongrels- seemed a lot more "partial rumpless" showed up in those although it also showed up in the pure ones occasionally. It was very interesting to work with those, seeing how a single gene(s) can vary so much from bird to bird.

I have heard the same about penguin marked chicks, basically these probably are E blacks.. cannot remember the finer details such as if this version of black also has the proper sheen desired, etc..

Thank's again ann, Out of that test hatch I managed two blues both were clean faced one rumpless one tailed they are yours if you want them, I Think your boy's over my girls are going to produce some wonderfully tufted fuzzy-butts

Hey Amazondoc,What are you working on at the present time, Your doing better than me on tufting so far:p But I'm Buying a huge jamesway Redwood inc, 2000.egg so I should catch up
ya.gif

Quote:
edited because my brain finally figured out what you were saying about your new incubator. Have fun with it! I am very happy that I started out by getting a Sportsman. Incubate everything!
smile.png

This generation, I am breeding everything to everything to see how much variety I can get. Then I'll start selecting with the next generation. I'm mostly just having fun!

Fortunately, the roo I'm using right now has two huge beautiful tufts -- and he seems to be very good at passing them on. The other two roos I have available are not nearly so well endowed, so when I start using them I'm sure my percentages will go down!

Last edited:
well, on my limited research on the tufts I have heard/been told that even cockerals with very small tufts can throw nicely tufted chicks, would be interested in hearing your results when you get to them. I am going to try it out with a black cockeral I hatched from Harry, he has itty bitty tufts but an awesome personality, always in my face for attention......he was going to go but wore on me..
Good luck with your hatches
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom