New Texas Member!

TexasGoatGal

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Hi, I'm Leslie, and I live deep in South West Texas.

We (Leigh and I) live on/manage a 25000 acre ranch down here, where we are responsible for (among other things) the hunting business (deer, turkey, javelina) and for caring for/handling/starting the mares and foals in the QH breeding program, as well as the saddle horses, here on the ranch. It's quite the dream job!!!

I've been lurking here on and off for a few months, as I am new to chickens and plan to get a few egg layers as well as a number of meat birds. As we live 2 hours from a full sized grocery store, the more I can grow at home, the better! Besides, fresher is always better!

In addition to the 20 or so horses that we care for on the ranch, we own 4 horses, a small herd of cashmere goats, a dog and 4 cats. And we usually get a steer or two to finish out in the fall for beef....

I'm excited to get started with the chickens, and I've learned a lot here on BYC!

welcome-byc.gif
from CA!!! Glad you joined!!! You will love BYC!
hugs.gif
frow.gif

That sounds delightful!! Welcome to BYC! I hope you find all the information you need to make your decision, if you need any additional information, feel free to PM me...
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
It's always nice to have more Texans in the bunch. You are going to love it here, but a small warning.... We will get you addicted to so much more than chickens and we are enablers and encourage the max number of birds that you can care for
yippiechickie.gif

Hi bt03!

Where are you out in West Texas? I'm in the Sanderson/Dryden area, and I'm interested in what types of eggers and meat chickens will thrive out here in the heat!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks much!
smile.png

Hi 4-H Chicken Mom!

Send me a PM and we perhaps can get you connected up for some Texas Deer hunting!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom