1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New threat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DaveK88, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DaveK88

DaveK88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Killingly Ct.
    We have fishercats, hawks, and probably racoons and other preditors here in northestern CT. I live in a pretty rural area. But last night when i got home from work a little after midnight I saw something I have never seen before. I took the dogs out as I always do. I just happened to turn around and running down the street was either a coyote or a fox. It was too dark to really tell but the size and the shape of the ears was unmistakable. It also had a kitten in its mouth as it was running. There is a stray cat that had a litter in the woods on the side of my house. I yelled hoping maybe to startle it enough to maybe make it drop the kitten but no luck. So now I have one more pest to look out for.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You need a perimeter of electric fence or one tough coop and run set up

3. The reluctant chicken

The reluctant chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Litchfield County
    I live in northwestern CT. And can tell you we have both fox and coyote, I've seen both very often, in my yard, day and night. The coyote in CT weigh twice as much as a fox and are as big as German Sheperds. I've lost chickens to both..always during the day while they were free ranging. My neighbor has seen coyote hiding under our truck and chasing the chickens..ultimately catching 2 of them in an afternoon.
    We have now built a run, which is quite secure and only free range when we are home and can physically watch them. They free range about 1-2 hours/day.

4. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    We have coyotes and foxes here. I let the chickens out of the run the last hour or so of the day, so they don't wander far. We also keep a large dog to patrol outside the run. I understand coyotes can climb the fence, though they haven't yet - hopefully the dog smell keeps them away!

Though a few years ago a fox snatched several chickens out of the yard in daytime. It apparently came when the dog was out of sight - one day it pranced into the yard while my husband was standing there! But evidently something got it, because the losses stopped.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Aw poor kitty.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    sounds like a yote most fox will kill cats but then go find another to "play with"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by