New to all of this in the desert

dnx717

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
I was raised in SC and moved to the Phoenix Valley last year. I've never kept chickens at all but I'm thinking about starting a flock of 6. 4 golden comets (or one of their various names), an Araucana, and an Easter Egger.

I like the idea of the colored eggs which is pretty much the only reason for the last two, otherwise I could go with six golden comets.

So does anyone have advice on whether all of these girls can stand the heat and if they would get along together (I know this would require a crystal ball to tell me but, has anyone had these breeds together?). Also, are either of these breeds loud? I live rather close to my neighbors and don't really want a knock on the door from a fussy neighbor ;)

Most of my chickens have had very distinct personalities and I have had vocal and quiet ones in each of the different breeds I keep. Same for flighty/friendliness. I think it is fun to have a variety of breeds and egg colors, and all of those you listed will produce well. Keep in mind that you never know what color the easter egger egg will be. It can be white, brown, tan, pinkish, blue, green, olive, etc... I have one EE. She lays a brown egg. I was disappointed so now I only select color egg breeds that are definitely going to produce a blue or green egg based on breed genetics (pure ameraucana, araucana, cream legbar, etc).

I read today that the Easter Eggers may not lay colored eggs but thanks for the affirmation. I've also read that they are VERY friendly, although stupid, and I have a two year old that I'd like to be able to (under direct supervision) have some interaction with.

If you only have 6, and you hand raise them from chicks, they will all probably be pretty friendly despite the breed. I find the egg layer breeds to be a bit more inclined to flightiness than my dual purpose breeds, but like I said, I find a wide variety of personalities within each breed. The only breed I have had where I can say they all pretty much acted the same are my faverolles. As a group they are super friendly, very vocal, really goofy, and always underfoot. They go broody a lot though.

My daughter has been interacting with ours since she was 3. Her favorite bird is our gigantic dark brahma rooster who we got that first season and she still carries around under her arm.

Greetings from a fellow desert dweller and
welcome-byc.gif
You can raise just about any breed here, the most important thing is to have a shaded, well ventilated coop. Drop by and say hello on our AZ thread. Lots of knowledgable and helpful folks there with experience raising chickens in our challenging climate and we like to help new people.

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Yes, I would definitely stop in at your states thread and chat with others on whether or not this breed can handle the heat. I keep Black Australorps here in NM and they do quite well. I keep them on sand and hose the sand down in the hottest summer time temps and the evaporation keeps the sand and the birds feet very cool. So keep this in mind to keep your birds cool. Also a running fan over this cool sand really keeps the birds from panting in the high heat.

Good luck with your new flock and enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom