new to all this but lovin it xx

Dorishaslop

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Hi everyone.

I have just inherited a flock of chooks from my neighbour who is moving house tomorrow... I got the on Saturday night and they laid lots of eggs on Sunday and more again today.

Most of them are the brown type that you see everywhere, but I do have one that is lighter and more bluey grey than the others.. she is very broody and sits on the eggs, she is not aggressive when I lift her bum up and pinch the eggs, she just goes off and joins the flock.

I have a large black cockerel called Manolo... (I live in Spain) lol

my friend built me a little laying hutch for them which they DO use thankfully, I put in woodshavings, and they have a big concrete dog kennel which I also put the shavings in...

I have been to the feed place and asked for the very best for them an he gave me a bag of mix, the picture on the front does have a hen on it... but it also has pics of sheep and goats so I'm guessing its an all rounder food. But the chickens seem to love it..

Ive been giving them lettuce, grapes corn flakes etc for treats which they seem to love... tried them with yoghurt but they turned their beaks up at that.

When I figure out how to upload pics on here I will but if you think Im doing things right so far let me know... I would love any advice...

OH yes.... how long should I leave the laid eggs before picking them up... don't want to upset the poor old dears...

Thanks in advance for your welcome advice xx

Jan... (doris is a nickname... long story lol )

Welcome! You sound English??? If you haven't read through the learning center tab, you should take a gander. It's loaded with useful tidbits.
If it ever gets chilly in Spain and you want to give your biddies a treat, mix up some quick oats & add a heaping dollop of yoghurt. Mine love it!!
Pick up the eggs as soon as you can. If they lay around they may get broken accidentally or worse, eaten through boredom. Once you have an egg eater you have a problem.
Check your feed to make sure it has the right percentage of protein for layers. It should be somewhere between 16-18% for warm climates.
Waiting to see those pix..................
thumbsup.gif

Hi again.

I am English but live in spain... I have arthritis and the climate is better for me... Jan

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You can pick up laid eggs anytime, most people collect once or twice a day.

images

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Yes, collect those eggs as soon as possible so they don't get broken. The longer they hang around in the nest boxes, the more likely they are to get cracked and broken. Worse yet, eaten!!

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom