New to all this

wikdwich

Hatching
Oct 24, 2015
Northern NC
Hi everyone! The husband and I have 5 bantams (2 hens and 3 roos) and 3 black Australorps (2 hens and 1 roo) and we just tried incubating 14 bantam eggs. Well, we got to day 25 and nothing happened so we gave up. We decided that #1- we need a better incubator. The one we borrowed just wasn't up to scratch. And #2- I think we had too many variations in temp and humidity. We had a bad storm/hurricane and lost power for a bit and I think that might have hurt them. Also, one day we came home and them temp was 104. So, I think we're about to order a brand new incubator, some eggs, and try again.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We got chickens for the first time about 4 years ago and have really enjoyed them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
See above :)

(3) What breeds do you have?
See above :)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
A friend has some chickens and suggested we look here for some suggestions on incubating our eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Reading, TV, internet, yard sales, motorcycle riding

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I teach 5th grade and the husband works for the city. We have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. We live out in the country so we have the ideal place for our chickens to roam.

Look forward to talking to you all!

Hi and welcome to BYC
smile.png

You will not regret investing in a better quality incubator. It is incredibly frustrating to spend 21 days waiting only to find out you have an inadequate incubator.

The Learning Center has a section on incubating that is very helpful - I would especially recommend the article Hatching 101

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your next hatching attempt.

Back
Top Bottom