1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to all this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wikdwich, Oct 24, 2015.

1. wikdwich

wikdwich New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Northern NC
    Hi everyone! The husband and I have 5 bantams (2 hens and 3 roos) and 3 black Australorps (2 hens and 1 roo) and we just tried incubating 14 bantam eggs. Well, we got to day 25 and nothing happened so we gave up. We decided that #1- we need a better incubator. The one we borrowed just wasn't up to scratch. And #2- I think we had too many variations in temp and humidity. We had a bad storm/hurricane and lost power for a bit and I think that might have hurt them. Also, one day we came home and them temp was 104. So, I think we're about to order a brand new incubator, some eggs, and try again.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    We got chickens for the first time about 4 years ago and have really enjoyed them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    See above :)

(3) What breeds do you have?
    See above :)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    A friend has some chickens and suggested we look here for some suggestions on incubating our eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Reading, TV, internet, yard sales, motorcycle riding

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I teach 5th grade and the husband works for the city. We have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. We live out in the country so we have the ideal place for our chickens to roam.

Look forward to talking to you all!

1 person likes this.
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Hi and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

You will not regret investing in a better quality incubator. It is incredibly frustrating to spend 21 days waiting only to find out you have an inadequate incubator.

The Learning Center has a section on incubating that is very helpful - I would especially recommend the article Hatching 101

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

3. wikdwich

wikdwich New Egg

Oct 24, 2015
    Northern NC
    Been busy reading it all morning :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your next hatching attempt.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC

8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry your first attempt at incubating didn't pan out, hope a new bator is the answer for you. In addition to the information in the Learning Center, there is a forum for incubating & hatching where you can ask questions:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

Good luck with your future hatches!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by