1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Austin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vandavenport, May 13, 2015.

1. vandavenport

vandavenport New Egg

May 12, 2015
    Hello Everyone,
    My wife and I moved to Austin, TX in September on 5 acres. I built us a coop and a friend gave 5 hens and a rooster. We have been gathering a lot of helpful information from the site so I thought I should come say hello.
    -Brian & Nina

2. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    Welcome to BYC !!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Brian and Nina

Glad you could join the flock! Lovely to hear you have got a lot of helpful information from BYC. It really is the place for all the learning and chicken fun. What breeds do you have?

Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Brian and Nina, glad you joined the BYC flock.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC, Brian and Nina! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
    5 acres is a good amount of land. I'm sure your chickens are happy. Good luck with them and welcome to our community.[​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Brian and Nina. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chickens.

8. jbuzbee

jbuzbee Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2015
    Waco tx
    I'm new on the form also from Texas my wife and I just got us 12 Ameraucanas pullets

9. TexTea7Chicks

TexTea7Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    Hello! I am new to BYC. I have been looking at it for tips and tricks though for some time. I currently have 7 chickens. 4 Bantams ( 2 are roosters[​IMG]) , 2 road island reds and a white one that was given to me. My mom went to the feed store and someone walked in with a chick that was bought for Easter and was now unwanted. What can I say, we cant say no... Anyway, we currently live in the country but we will be having to move into Austin soon. Anyone know if this will be a problem? I know the roosters may need to be rehomed but will 5 ladies be an issue? I also know and HOA will have thoughts too...[​IMG]

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC as well. As far as I know, Austin, TX does allow chickens (even roosters). You will find their chicken ordinances at https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/austin-texas-chicken-ordinance. Of course if you live in an HOA, the HOA ordinances may not permit them. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by