new to back yard chicken

shelly1982

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2015
new to back yard chicken raising just bought 4 chicks they are 5 weeks old hope this is the site to help answer questions with them

new to back yard chicken raising just bought 4 chicks they are 5 weeks old hope this is the site to help answer questions with them

Welcome to BYC - this site is most definitely a wonderful resource for any questions you may have and just to have some other follks who can "talk chicken" with you and not look at you like you're crazy, lol. What breed(s) did you get?

I picked up one buff orpington, two Barred Rocks, and one Rhode Island red. They are Ll doing great and their coop is all ready to go, but I'm starting to question the sex of one of the barred rocks. I got them from a local fed supply so a rooster could have gotten in with the shipment. Behavior wise she seems more stand offish and just a little different than the other girls but she could just be a sassy little thing. However we're starting to see wobble development and a slight reddish color. I'll post pics in a bit.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning!

5 weeks is about the age you are going to see some wattle and comb development. Many Roosters look like Roos' at the age of 2 weeks! But I do suggest you post some pics in our What Breed and Gender section for help solve this mystery! :) https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom