1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Breeding...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherndon712, Jan 6, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I have a few breeds that I'm interested in breeding, so have a few questions...
    What is the best economical way to separate them? I've heard cages (like for large rabbits) work good, but I'm wanting to breed my standard and heavy breeds too.
    How many hens per roo?
    What is the best age to start breeding them?

Crystal [​IMG]

2. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    Hi, I new also to the breeding game but my sister who has done it for awhile helped me to design the boxes. We were able to get 1 large crate that already had ply-board around it, so we just cut a pop door out for them to use - a square, and then undid the top and added hinges for me to get in. We also used a 1x1 for a roost on one side. We made some with 2+4's and plywood about 3x3x3 maybe a little larger, and attached the runs with 1x1's and wire, with a lid on a section to get to water or birds in there. It is like a tractor, I move it when needed. Right now I have 1 blk. mottled d'uccle roo in with 3 blk. mottled hens and 3 mill fuer d'uccle hens. I just lost my mil roo. But they are fine, I do prop open the run on a cider block to let them free range when I'm home. They are very happy birds, and the hens combs are pinking up, so I'm hoping they are going to start laying soon.

3. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Sounds like you have it made! I have one mille fleur d uccle rooster...My hens didn't make it! But I have other breeds (Buff Orp, Australorp, Silver spangled hamburgs) that I want to breed until my mille eggs hatch (if I ever get them...I hate waiting on the mail!!) lol

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Chicken tractors are pretty easy to make. They are really only good for warmer temps tho and temporary arrangments but work well for breeding pens. We use these lower style ones for raising meat birds but also have taller ones for separating birds if necessary. They're nice because you can move them onto fresh grass daily and the birds fertilize the lawn while in there.

[​IMG]

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by