New to BYC and Chickens in General - Vermont

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greenmtngirl, Jul 15, 2011.

1. greenmtngirl

greenmtngirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Vermont
    Hello!

I've been "lurking" for awhile and getting LOTS of great info, so decided I should be polite and introduce myself. I live in the beautiful state of Vermont, where we are currently experiencing our glorious two months of summer (otherwise known as "time to prepare for the coming winter which actually just ended"). I live in a small cabin with my husband, a puggle and two cats. I've always loved birds, and finally decided it was time to get some chickens. Rather than buy chicks like a "normal" person, I decided to pick up an incubator and buy eggs on eBay. I didn't know it would end up taking over my life! One incubator became two with a third on the way! I've done everything wrong, had horrible hatch rates, tried my hand at amateur carpentry with disastrous results but am having a blast and CAN'T STOP BUYING EGGS! Thus far I've hatched three chickens, four guineas, three runner ducks and 16 button quail (only to learn that they apparently can't tolerate cold weather, so I'm turning a small sleeping loft into an aviary and will have many more roommates this winter - maybe I should have researched a bit more before buying eggs!). I have around 6,547 eggs currently incubating (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit).

Thanks for all of the posts! I look forward to learning lots from all of you!

2. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    [​IMG] Greetings from South Carolina, [​IMG]

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. Wow, and I thought I jumped in without looking. Glad you are having fun, as you have found out, it is addicting, am envious of incubating, I am anxious to try my hand at that too. Good luck!

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    welcome from ct.!!!!! sounds like your gonna have your hands full!! [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    Hello from Maryland!
    I lived in Beautiful Vermont for 4 years, and even loved the winters there-hope to visit someday.[​IMG]

10. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by