New to BYC and chickens in general...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DaddyChicken, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DaddyChicken

DaddyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Byron, GA
    Hello. I've been lurking for about three weeks while my son and I have been building our coop and getting things ready for our first chicks. Well, we picked them up yesterday. They were advertised as RIR's and when I went to get them, not knowing better, I asked for all pullets (5). The chicks are 4 weeks old and the lady said she didn't know how to tell them apart. Since then I have read about sexing RIR's and now know it's almost impossible. She said she thought the ones with the smallest combs were female so we picked five with the smallest combs.

Here is a picture. What do you think? BTW, chickens ARE adictive.

[​IMG]

I will get better pics today.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG]

3. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Congratulations on joining the chicken movement and welcome to BYC.

The lady at the store said correctly when she said that the ones with the smallest combs and wattles are your best bet to being hens. You are correct also in thinking that it's difficult to sex them, although at four weeks sometimes the differences are starting to show.

Right now, it's difficult to tell with the pictures that you've posted. The one on the right with the head down looks like a pullet to me but I'm on the fence about the front one with the head up. The comb is nice and light colored; red combs at this early age generally mean roo, but it's a bit big although RIRs have largish combs. The others have their heads hidden.

I would repost this question on the What Breed or Gender am I? thread and you'll have responses from more experienced "sexers" than I.

By the way, that nice thick post in the background is likely to become an acrobatic playground for your girls - in other words they'll start climbing up it. If it leads out of the pen, they're likely to escape to the dangers of the outside world. Chickens aren't real bright.

Welcome again and good luck.

Mary

4. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Got you a nice little flock started...

5. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Welcome.......we have a great gang on here and you'll enjoy it. Your RIR are cute!

7. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    These look like RIR's but they could alway just be red sex linked chickens. Which in that case you would have all pullets. Many people advertise red sex linked as RIR or NHR just to make it easier.

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] to Kansas and your new addiction chickens. [​IMG]

9. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:Well Said:D[​IMG]

10. Noobchick

Noobchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Creedmoor, NC
    [​IMG]

Your RIR are beautiful! Its been my experience that RIR are very affectionate- hope yours are too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by