New to BYC and I have questions... ;)

Chellebelle13

Hatching
Mar 3, 2016
Northeast Georgia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all! I'm so excited to have found this site and forum!! I've had layers and broilers before, but lost my feathered buddies to a theif and murderer, who we'll call Mr. Fox (to protect the guilty...and he most likely doesn't even have a name). He busted through my wire mesh in the night and I awoke to a horrifically bloody and feathered crime scene. As much as I wanted to hunt down the culprit (quite literally), I decided my time would best be spent building a new and improved coop with a run, which we've only just begun. I'll have to post pics of the process once when it's done. Just think Rustic Chic (chandeliers included), just like you see in my Avatar pic. It'll be the envy of every hen and rooster on our block.
wink.png
Which brings me to the reason for this post...

Q1. What type of wire mesh do y'all use for your runs? We live in the country, so I need something that predators aren't going to be able to chew, barge, or squeeze through.

Q2. I really want to raise turkeys or turkens with my chickens. Can I house them together or do I need to keep them separate?

Q3. I had ordered my last feather buddies from a hatchery, but would really like to purchase my new friends locally. Does anyone know of a hatchery in Georgia? I have found a few private sellers, but don't want to overpay for them, either. I mean, I'm not showing them. We raise them for eggs and meat. Of course, I'd eventually like to sell chicks, too, but not right away.

Any other advice you can lend me is much appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and your feathered flocks.
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!!
Q1: I personally use chicken wire for my run, but to prevent predators, I believe that other people use hardware cloth, so that things can't squeeze through.
Q2: I believe that you are not supposed to house other poultry with chickens, but I haven't heard much about it. Hopefully someone else on here can inform you about that.
Q3: If you are looking for local breeders, I would recommend joining in on your state thread, which you should be able to find by typing your state into the search box.
Good luck!

Q1. What type of wire mesh do y'all use for your runs? We live in the country, so I need something that predators aren't going to be able to chew, barge, or squeeze through.

You need to actually use hardware cloth. A somewhat standard convention is to use 2 inch by 4 inch cloth on the floor (if you use it under the coop) and 1 x 2 everywhere else. Home Depot sells it as does other big box hardware retailers. Heck, Amazon sells the stuff.

Also, the actual wire used to make the hardware cloth is measured by gauge. The larger the gauge, the smaller the wire is. Keep in mind that the thicker wires (smaller gauge numbers) are much harder to bend and form around something, if that's your intention.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Actually 1/2 inch hardware cloth is the gold standard for predator protection. It costs more, lasts longer and if it is securely attached to frame work,( not with plastic ties) it will deter all but the strongest predators, Chicken wire only keeps chickens in, predators can slice through it like butter.

Thank you all. 1/2" hardware cloth it is. I also found out that I will have to house my turkeys/turkens separately from the chickens, which I suspected was the case. Instead of crying, "Why can't everybody just get along???" We'll build another house for the gobblers. :)

Back
Top Bottom